How much feed do I give the chickens?

Cake-decorator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Hello, I have 23 chickens and 2 roosters.

Should we measure the amount of feed and chicken scratch?

In the evening, while there is still light. I give them produce.

Thank you:)

I forgot to mention that they are 5 months now and have been beginning to lay eggs since the 16th. Thanks again

We leave feed and water available to our flock 24/7 in the hen house. We also provide oyster shell and grit, separately from feed and each other, 24/7.

We use hanging feeders, just fill them as needed.

We don't put scratch in with the feed, as they have a tendency to bill out the feed looking for the scratch.

We keep food and water out at all times as well. Feeder is always full. Scratch grains are very limited, especially in hot weather. I like to give treats late afternoon to ensure they eat the nutritious foods first and snacks later.

Jody

lol.png
I tried leaving food out, but Chook turns into a fiend, stuffing herself to the point she can't stand up straight. She also starts tossing and wasting too much. So, I started regulating meals and portions and that worked a lot better. She eats, doesn't stuff, and doesn't toss nearly as much, knowing, I assume, that that is all there is until the next feeding time.

my husband swears we are going through about 7 pounds of feed a day...
idunno.gif
... for 22 chickens (about 20 weeks old) and 2 ducks (same age). Does this sound right to you guys?..thanks, Wendy

me too...all times...all they want of the dry food (scratch, lentiles, wheat berries, rice). I only know of Chickie to over eat on what I consider treats and that is when she was cooped all day in the pen. I made the mistake of leaving too much corn for her and Roo. I believe she over ate the corn and it clogged her crop. She is fine now but I no longer leave a lot of "wet" food for them when I pen them up.

Wendy,
I have been afraid to really figure that out- but I also have 22 birds total including the roo. I think your husband may be right! I am in denial myself but I'm thinkin he's pretty close when he says 7lbs a day:0(
At least 5lbs anyway. I'm going to have to face up and check it out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom