How much is too much for Ameraucanas?

SwampFlock

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
Conroe, TX
I'll try to be brief- I've been reaching out to breeders all over TX to find exhibition/show quality Black Ameraucanas. One finally got back to me with a price of $50/pullet, didn't say how old. From what I've been reading, $30-$35 is what I should expect to pay for show quality pullets? I want to enter competitions as I used to brew beer and loved winning ribbons so...

B.A.s have been hard to find; Should I just suck it up and get started or keep shopping?

Thank y'all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-11-21-33-52.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-11-21-33-52.png
    818 KB · Views: 11
It's cheaper to start with the best quality birds even when it means waiting. If you haven't already, join the club and if there are shows this year, hold off and buy birds at the show.
If you were talking about my post, I wasn't saying that they should get hatchery birds. Just that in confused how they got 30-35 for show quality girls. 50 seems right for guaranteed females of a show quality. Even more if they're from winning birds and have a high chance themselves of winning at a professional show

If you were talking about my post, I wasn't saying that they should get hatchery birds. Just that in confused how they got 30-35 for show quality girls. 50 seems right for guaranteed females of a show quality. Even more if they're from winning birds and have a high chance themselves of winning at a professional show

Not sure where you got 30-35 for show quality. Hatchery strains are usually at least 20 for st. run, and those are almost never close to show quality
I'm seeing $7.90/B. Ameraucana at Cackle Hatchery. I know not to get hatchery birds for what I want to do but I AM a noob. If $50 is what the group thinks is right, I'm on board. I know it's considered uncouth at best to haggle with the sellers on poultry prices so I consult the hive mind haha!

Back
Top Bottom