How much is your license fee?

sjmjrgkmg

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2009
Hi all,
I live in a Rochester NY where we do need a license to keep chickens. I was appalled to find that the already steep (in my opinion) fee of $25/year was increased to $37 - plus we have to get it notarized, bringing the annual cost to about $40/year. A dog license is $7. I only keep four hens in my backyard, but the license application makes it sound like I'm running a business. I talked to the guy at city hall in charge of licensing, and he gave me a long winded speech about cost of responding to complaints, compliance, blah blah blah. So I'm going to city council with a suggestion about lowering the fee, but wanted to know how much it is in other urban (or suburban) areas. Am I whining over nothing? Are all of you paying this much as well? Thanks in advance for responding.
Sue

Here no license is required for up to 5 hens. If you want to keep more than than, you can then apply for a license to keep up to 12 hens and that is $25 per year.

$25 per year for as many as they'll let you have. We got our license in September, so the first $25 isn't going to far.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom