How much land do you own/how many chickens?

We have just over 5 acres. According to the county code, we can have 100 chickens. We now have 72, most of which are young. Last year at this time we only have 7 - I'm crazy. We have to downsize because I don't want to know what the place will smell like this summer... At least you never have to worry about folks wanting to come over if it really smells bad
sickbyc.gif
I tell myself that once we lose our sanitation grade A (a scale I made for myself) we have to eliminate some birds...

5 Acres with 17 chickens (soon to be 35 chickens) that have an 8 by 8 coop (the coop will soon be 8 by 12). Mine also free range they stay within the "city limits" if you are considering free ranging.

Quote:
I am a renter too, and my landlord lives next door and owns all the almost three acres around us. He has a lone rooster and loves chickens! Lucky me! So I have 10 hens and 2 roosters.

I have 8.24 acres and about 4 are cleared of all timber. I have 2 coops: 1 has 4 EE's in it and is a small tractor style while the other is 8x8x5' and has a 300 sq ft run w/ 30 chickens (now down to 29 as I had one killed by a dog just before I posted this response.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
) Most are hens but I did get 5 packing peanuts that may be straight run or cockerals, I am not sure which or how many, but I am pretty sure I have at least 24 hens.

5.something acres. 2 acres are subdivision lots, the others are a parcel. We have 19 chickens. The 7 adult birds are in a 8' x 25' run with a coop in it. We will be fending off an 8' x 20' area adjacent to it for the younger birds. Smaller pen will be for cochins, larger pen for layer birds. Our land is almost all wooded except for about 2 acres on top of the hill where the house, buildings and pond are.

Thank you everyone for the replies : ) I am showing hubby them tommorrow lol- I also keep reminding hubby that so far 7 out of 10(the last 3 are still too young to know) IM pretty sure are pullets so he shouldnt complain : P MAma Doula are those Cloth diapers drying on the fence in your pic?? lol I had to ask...it looks alot like when our dipes are out to dry

30 acres 49 chickens!! I think it's more how you manage than how many you have!! As long as you keep up with the maintenence you should be fine!!
smile.png
And yes I do think barking dogs (and I do have 3) are MUCH more annoying than chickens!!

Missi

Back
Top Bottom