How much should I be trying to get this crossbeak to eat daily? And can I train her to eat sideways?

Pics
What did the parents of the chicken look like? Did any of them have crossbeak/scissorbeak? A missing eye? Any deformities? Can you post a few more pictures of him/her/it? Also, if so, this chick possibly may be picked on after it gets older as that is what happened with Digger (a scissorbeak bantam roo). I’ll be back later to check up on this.

What did the parents of the chicken look like? Did any of them have crossbeak/scissorbeak? A missing eye? Any deformities? Can you post a few more pictures of him/her/it? Also, if so, this chick possibly may be picked on after it gets older as that is what happened with Digger (a scissorbeak bantam roo). I’ll be back later to check up on this.

Daddy was a one-of-a-kind, amazing, beautiful, sweet, faithful tailless Ameraucana (probably Easter Egger is a better label) from Townline Hatcheries. Truly priceless...to us! They've never had another tailless come from them, so he was already a genetic anomaly. He died in the line of duty trying to defend a hen from a fox, which is why I grabbed every egg I could find that next day and started up the incubator: trying to save his legacy.

Rooster Dude.jpg

Momma was also an Ameraucana, but I have no idea which one.

I read in a REALLY old journal article (1930s?) that about 1 in 100 Ameraucanas have a genetic disorder, and crossed beak is the most common one. Perhaps breeding practices have gotten better so that it's less than that now. But since we're (MUCH) closer to 100 than 0 chickens, I think it was probably just the wrong lineup of genes for this chick, and this is our special 1% baby.

Oh, and yes, she's getting picked on a little bit out in the chicken run. Not massively, but out of precaution, we keep her inside in a cage between her noon and dinner feedings. My little dog Pablo (a Havanese, a breed that has performed for circuses and herded poultry) keeps a close eye on her when she's inside! Look closely for 2 animals in the following photo... :love

Pablo and Crossbeak.jpg

Oh, and yes, she's getting picked on a little bit out in the chicken run. Not massively, but out of precaution, we keep her inside in a cage between her noon and dinner feedings. My little dog Pablo (a Havanese, a breed that has performed for circuses and herded poultry) keeps a close eye on her when she's inside! Look closely for 2 animals in the following photo... :love

View attachment 1493640

Precious pic! :love

Back
Top Bottom