How much should they be eating now?

twocrazygirls

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
My geese are now 8 weeks and a few days old... They are allowed to free forage. They still come up begging for pellets like puppy dogs- they get some pellets in the morning and evening. My question is how much should they be getting now at this age? It seems like they are always begging so I don't want to be depriving them. I think they just have me well trained.

My geese are now 8 weeks and a few days old... They are allowed to free forage. They still come up begging for pellets like puppy dogs- they get some pellets in the morning and evening. My question is how much should they be getting now at this age? It seems like they are always begging so I don't want to be depriving them. I think they just have me well trained.
I keep feed out all day for mine and let them eat as they want. at 8 weeks they are still growing and need all the nutrients they can get.

I can't keep feed out all day, 'cause the guineas eat it. I want them to finish up the Layena, then I'll switch them over to the Flock Raiser. According to David Holderread and my Giant Dewlap Toulouse, they should be fed 3xs a day. They eat very little during the day, they rather forage. At night, when I put them in the coop, they eat like there's no tomorrow. From the very start, I was told to sprinkle oat meal (not instant) the slow cooking kind, on there FR, so they wouldn't grow to fast. It would be easier on their legs. Also the FR has niacin in it so you won't have to substitute for niacin. I don't believe Chick Starter has any niacin in it, so you'd have to add 100mg of niacin to a gal. of water according to David. This may also depend on the breed of geese you have. This is what David told me for my Giant Dewlap Toulouse. Hope this helps

I've just been feeding as they come up and want it since I can't keep it out all day either due to horses. On another note Lydia.... I just put out two goslings and ducklings and the geese seem quite interested. Momma goose really seems to want in there with them. She raised the 8 week olds even though I bought them for her
1f609.png
. Should I let her in there with them like I did the other babies? She is the one at the front.

I've just been feeding as they come up and want it since I can't keep it out all day either due to horses. On another note Lydia.... I just put out two goslings and ducklings and the geese seem quite interested. Momma goose really seems to want in there with them. She raised the 8 week olds even though I bought them for her
1f609.png
. Should I let her in there with them like I did the other babies? She is the one at the front.

Wouldn't hurt to try her actually the whole flock would probably adopt them but I'd try mama first then give the babies a week to get stronger and larger then maybe try them all if mama has accepted Littles can easily get trampled when there is so many.

I tried her and she freaked out being away from the other babies. Now I'm afraid they are all going to camp out by the babies instead of going out on the pond where they are safer.

I tried her and she freaked out being away from the other babies. Now I'm afraid they are all going to camp out by the babies instead of going out on the pond where they are safer.

Well I don't think I'd let the geese take the littles to the pond especially if you don't know if you have snapping turtles. But your probably right they will stay close by the babies. Geese love babies.

No snapping turtles but they don't have feathers yet. They are having great fun in their swimming pool cooling off in this hot Texas weather.

Yes- just chilling by the pen. They go forage for a bit and then come back. They did go out on to the water last night thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom