How much space do you need for 12 chickens?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
They have 5 hens and a rooster right now but I have a little dream of having 11 hens and a rooster so I can have a rainbow basket. Right now I have big chickens and a little polish chicken.
But I was wondering how much space do 12 chickens need? Outside and inside so that that can live the best life possible.

Another question is chickens live in the same coop even though they have a age difference? Bc I was thinking that when I get my next set of chicken I would wanna get some that are younger that my current flock but is that a good idea?
I also really want to have some silkies but is that possible with a English araucana rooster?

Another question is chickens live in the same coop even though they have a age difference?
Integrating/adding new birds, no matter their age, works best with more space.
How much space do you have now?
Dimensions and pics of coop and run would help here.

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1672488188004.png

Also....
View attachment 3362770
In about 10 min I’m going to my coop to measure it and take some pics. I’m located in Denmark. Where it rains a lot and it can get pretty cold here. I think the coldest it has been this year is around - 5 degrees and the hottest it has been is around 95 degrees. I will post some pics and the measurements of the coop soon😊

Also....
View attachment 3362770
The outside coop is around 26 feet long and 11 feet wide and the inside coop is around 7,6 feet long and 5,2 feet wide. I know the coop needs a cleaning and I will do that as soon as the shops open and I can get some new hay to put on the floors don’t worry😊there are also 4 nesting boxes that you can see😊

Attachments

• 83EC4F06-2A66-4315-B6FF-F3D6E60FFD18.jpeg
    83EC4F06-2A66-4315-B6FF-F3D6E60FFD18.jpeg
    691 KB · Views: 14
  • 5BA74478-6580-48F4-AE20-31694D46210E.jpeg
    5BA74478-6580-48F4-AE20-31694D46210E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Another question is chickens live in the same coop even though they have a age difference? Bc I was thinking that when I get my next set of chicken I would wanna get some that are younger that my current flock but is that a good idea?

Yes, chickens of different ages can live in the same coop.

Once they are old enough for the pullets to lay eggs, they tend not to care about age differences. But before that, the younger ones tend to stay away from the big ones, and the big ones peck the young ones if they come too close. So they need enough space to stay away. It's usually easier to raise chicks in the spring & summer, when they can also use the outdoor space. Then they can all be adults by the time they have to stay inside together during bad winter weather.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
This is an article by someone who has a brooder in the coop, raises the chicks there, and integrates the groups at a young age by making chick-sized openings in the brooder (so the chicks can run to safety if needed). Of course that is not the only way to integrate chicks into an adult flock, but it is one method that might be worth considering.

7.6 & 5.2 dimensions gives you about 10 standard sized birds if you go by BYC recommendations. Your outdoor space is about double the minimum for 12. Integration often requires additional room. With a few smaller breeds and no heavy breeds, your wishes are definitely do-able!

7.6 & 5.2 dimensions gives you about 10 standard sized birds if you go by BYC recommendations. Your outdoor space is about double the minimum for 12. Integration often requires additional room. With a few smaller breeds and no heavy breeds, your wishes are definitely do-able!
Thank you for your answer,
The chickens I have are
2 black copper marans
2 Easter eggers
1 small polish chicken
1 English araucana rooster
And the chicken I want to get are
1 australops
1 Orpington
1 welshummer
1 barnevelder
2 silkies
Do you think that is durable? And if not how many more do you think could be in the coop? So that they could all live a good life?😊

I'd not add any more birds to that set up.
7'-6" x 5'-3" is perfect for the 6 you have in your climate.

I do not see any ventilation in your coop, could be a problem at 95°F.
Oh sorry there are ventilation in the coop but it’s on the other side of the coop where you can’t see it in the picture😊 it has also only been 95 degrees once this year and that was also the hottest it has ever been in Denmark since 1939 I think so it’s not normal for it to be this hot😊

Back
Top Bottom