how much to charge for eggs?

brookecoast

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
port angeles
I have four ducks and six easter eggers and i would like to sell their excess eggs. i feed them organic layer pellets and they free range in our pesticide free yard and garden during the day. so what are you guys charging?

I charge $2.75/doz but offer a 25c discount if they bring their own carton. Almost everyone brings their own carton so I'm actually only charging $2.50, but this has the benefit that I don't have to worry about running out of cartons.
ETA: Mine are ordinary brown eggs from the variety of chickens in my sig line. A local lady I know charges $4-5 for duck eggs. You might be able to get away with charging a little more for blue/green EE eggs, depending on your local market.

Last edited:
It depends on who else sells in your area, how much they sell for, and how much your locals buy store eggs for.
wink.png

Out here, there are VERY few people with chickens, and the stores charge $4-6 for "cage free" eggs, so one could easily sell a dozen for $4 and get business going. I myself used to sell eggs for $3 a dozen though, because in all reality, it is hard to get people to buy farm fresh eggs.
roll.png
They make the most ridiculous excuses to not eat them, no matter what the facts. . .

I charge my neighbors 2.00 a dozen right now while my girls are laying medium sized eggs. They already know it will probably be 3 by the time they make it to laying XL. Plus, they all know that is there neighbor discount, so if word spreads its more. Of course I am not trying to make a full fledged business out of it, either. Its a hobby, the girls are fun to hang out with, and the 2 strutting roosters competing for attention make it all worth while. Once I add a couple of broodies, I will let them raise some chicks for winter food. My main goal in selling eggs is to pay for their food and make the whole idea as self sufficient as possible.

The lady I got one of the roosters from said the current market price in our area was 3.50/dozen, and that was last summer when eggs at some places were still .88/dozen. There are some on CL here ranging anywhere from 1-3/dozen. My feed over the winter, including the bird seed I give as scratch since they started laying puts my egg cost at just over 1.00/dozen. With improved springtime production, we shall see.

$4 duck and $2.50 chicken, $3 for extra large- jumbo
Really depends on your area and what kind of a market you have for them

An immigrant with no education asked his boss for a promotion.
"Sorry, but you can't count or read - I can't promote you. You'll have to keep sweeping the floors."

"But, boss, I just want to work on the loading dock."

"Sorry, there's nothing I can do."

On the way home and feeling dejected, the guy bought a small box of apples as a present for his wife. She loved apples.
When he arrived at his tenement, he sat down to eat an apple while he waited for his wife.

A man walking by spotted the fruit and said to him, "Hey, how much for two of those apples?"
"I dunno," said the immigrant - "what'll you give me?"
The man gave him a dollar and told him to keep the change. Before long several people had stopped and bought apples, and soon his box was empty.

The next day he bought two boxes and went uptown. Many people stopped and wondered what his apples cost. His answer was always the same: "What'll you give?"

Within a month he had quit his job and started selling apples. Soon he had a fruit stand, and then three. Within ten years he had an organic grocery store and after twenty years, an entire chain of them. He had become a very successful business man, by then.

At his retirement party years later, everyone marveled at how far he had come, an uneducated immigrant.
He was asked what he thought he might have become if he had gotten an education.

With a twinkle in his eye, he answered... "A loading dock worker."

===================================================================================

When in doubt about pricing something, ask people what they'll give.
If its not enough, negotiate. If it satisfactory, you got a deal.

Either way - you'll find out what it is worth.

This works for eggs, cars or anything else you want to sell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom