How noisy is a chicken .

Bruins

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Frederick Co, MD
I have heard that there are differences in breeds of chickens as some are noisier than others , but how noisy is a chicken really .

Can you hear them cluck from 10 feet away , 20 feet away , 30 feet away , etc....?

I have two RIR hens and they are pretty noisy. They are about 10 feet outside my bedroom and their cackles and squaks definitely wake me up in the morning.

I have heard that there are differences in breeds of chickens as some are noisier than others , but how noisy is a chicken really .

Can you hear them cluck from 10 feet away , 20 feet away , 30 feet away , etc....?
No chicken actually has a determined volume level. I can hear mine cackle when I'm inside my house. All chickens will make noise but some will make less and some will make more noise. Typically leghorns are known for being very flight.

I would say, clucking you can hear from 20 feet away. If they are singing the egg song or squawking, you can hear from 100 + feet away.

Ya its more noisy then human imo.
If my roo goes far, all the hens keep yelling at him ..or calling.
If my neighboors chicken visit here (free range) they all make mad sounds.
Every morning it wakes me up around 5:00.
My roo's sounds are the loudest in the whole area..its like he wants to be the loudest of them all..
There are many roo's around but they're much quieter.
I'm used to it and my neighboors also so its ok.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom