How often do turkeys lay eggs & what to do with the eggs?

Quote:
Our Mottled, Blue Slates, Black Spanish, Royal Palm hens have been laying an egg each day. Our Bronze/Wild & Bourbon Reds did not lay as well this year. We pick up all our eggs each day, as we sell most of them. But now several hens have become broody- so production is going down.

We eat any of the eggs that are cracked, small, odd shape; they are good, the yolk is relatively larger than chickens eggs.

1blm1.jpg

We eat what ever eggs we do not incubate, Chicken, Duck, and Turkey. If one is cracked, dirty or we just have way too many I boil them and smash them for the Chicks, Poults and Ducklings. The boiled egg really gets the babies to eating fast. I smash them and put them on a plastic coffee can lid and then sprinkle the feed on top. When we have way more than we can use I boil them for the older chickens also.

I can tell the difference in Chicken, Duck, and Turkey eggs but only in the firmness of the egg and of course the size. Like someone said “Blind Test” most people would never know.

I have 4 full grown hens and 1 tom. At first I was getting an egg a day. Online info says they lay one egg every three days.
However, mine haven't produced an egg in over a week. Does anyone know if they stop laying during winter months (we live in snow country). You can hatch the eggs, or if you choose to eat them, they are delicious. They are very similar to chicken eggs, but larger and denser or something. I also bake with them and they make cakes, muffins, pancakes, etc. fluffier.

Last year my turkeys laid eggs almost every day with a day off here and there. I personally love turkey eggs for eating, they are my favorite. So I eat them often
hide.gif

But mostly I incubate the turkey eggs and then sell most poults and I also raise some to maturity for my freezer and to sell to customers for the holidays.

This turkey is semi-feral. I do not have a tom, so there will be no babies. Lurkey, my one year girl was abandoned and didnt get feed for months. Now that she eats laying crumbles she is laying. I am allergic to eggs so I give them to friends. I need to get a license in Arizona to sell them.

This turkey is semi-feral. I do not have a tom, so there will be no babies. Lurkey, my one year girl was abandoned and didnt get feed for months. Now that she eats laying crumbles she is laying. I am allergic to eggs so I give them to friends. I need to get a license in Arizona to sell them.

A license really!? Hmmm

I have heard of people "renting" out hens before, probably to get past that law. The person(customer) pays X amount of $ a week to rent your hen(that stay on your property and you care for) and they get to come collect any eggs for free from their rented hen that they pay for.

It sounds strange but might work lol Just a thought.

Or you could just get a license lol might be easier.

Last edited:
I haven't considered it. The laws are so hard in Arizona. Not allowed to call them local or fresh. I would rather give them away, maybe my friends will give me something in return. : ) I do wonder how much big pretty turkey eggs are worth. I also get 2 white eggs a day and one dark brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom