How often do turkeys lay eggs & what to do with the eggs?

Generally feed mine flockraiser 20 percent. Now I don't have BBB but by that age they should be ready to butcher.

I haven't considered it. The laws are so hard in Arizona. Not allowed to call them local or fresh. I would rather give them away, maybe my friends will give me something in return. : ) I do wonder how much big pretty turkey eggs are worth. I also get 2 white eggs a day and one dark brown egg.

My Bourbon Red pair free range, and yesterday my son came across the hen sitting on a nest of 16 eggs He and my wife moved them into the barn into a "nest" that they put together. Not sure how long many of these eggs have been out there and the hen doesn't seem too interested in sitting on them....even when they were out in the pasture, she came to the barn to roost at night. Are the eggs good?
I know it's obviously too late for your eggs but if you haven't found your answer yet, fresh eggs are good for at least a month at room temperature as long as the shell isn't cracked. Commercial eggs are power washed and bleached and sit in a warehouse and that's why they don't last very long because it strips away the protective outer coating of the egg. My high school foods and nutrition teacher about 10 years ago told me she did an experiment with one of the security guards that owned a small farm where they put fresh eggs in the fridge and at room temperature to see how long it would take to go bad and she said the room temperature eggs took over a month to smell bad and the ones in the fridge were good for over 3 months. That being said I've had turkeys lay in the weeds and not find the nest right away and the nest was in some nasty wet mud and the smell couldn't be washed off so I just marked them and left them so I knew where her spot was to keep laying. If you're ever in doubt just put them in a deep bowl of water and if they sink and lay on their side their good. If they stand on end their OK but will go bad soon. And if they float their bad and don't eat them.

So my question is this: Our turkeys started laying in March (first year) and then they stopped around May/ early June. Don't they lay l continue to lay until fall? Am I doing something wrong, or do they just not lay very long each year?

Mine started laying about a week ago for the first time. She's around 6 months. Found 3 eggs the first day I noticed than every day another egg. 💁‍♀️ and supposedly they only lay in spring but it's mid-July

Mine started laying about a week ago for the first time. She's around 6 months. Found 3 eggs the first day I noticed than every day another egg. 💁‍♀️ and supposedly they only lay in spring but it's mid-July
The broad breasted varieties are being bred to lay year round and can start laying as early as 5 months old.

It is still turkey egg laying season. The heritage birds unless receiving artificial light will lay fro spring until fall. If they are allowed to set the first clutch of eggs they lay and permitted to raise the poults, they may not lay any more eggs during the year. If they are not allowed to set the eggs, they will normally continue laying into the fall. My turkey hens start laying in mid March and continue until some time in October.

My turkey (hen) is laying eggs everyday some soft and some are with hard shell is there something wrong with her
Make sure she is getting enough calcium. Make oyster shell available free choice. If you are not using a layer feed for her, you may want to switch to layer feed.

Every turkey is different in how frequently they lay eggs. Most turkey hens do not lay every day but it can happen.

Back
Top Bottom