how often do you clean your coop

2-4 times a day. Mostly the run since thats where they poop the most. I have 2 cat box scoopers in case I get a helper. I disinfect monthly with an oxine solution.

You have a lot of time on your hands. I clean mine once a week. The boards I do daily. I have sand in the bottom of my coop, and ad a small layer of straw, scoop it out once a week add more.
Michele

I do, I have 8 hours a day alone. I do not work, kids are all in school. I'm disabled with a neck injury and I find my chickens very therapeutic. They certainly make my life more enjoyable. Plus, they all jump up on my lap when I bring a chair inside the coop(inside our garage) and a towel on my lap. They come at my feet when free ranging too. It's pure love.:love

I'd love to use straw, but I'm unable to clean it out. It's too heavy and bulky, so I use pine chips.

Last edited:
I wish could stay home, I could get so much more done. One day.
Michele

Being disabled has its drawbacks for sure. I have great limitations and must not overdue it or I suffer greatly for weeks on end in pain. I'm unable to bring in any money as well. I feel like a prisoner in my own body, which leaves me housebound.

I do my best to keep positive everyday. I went from running 6 miles a day to resting on the couch/bed most the day.

I couldn't do it without the support of my husband. I use to run 36 miles a week and now I'm unable to walk around the block. I'm too young for a wheelchair.:(

i was cleaning mine once a month with an extra clean sanitizing every three months but after reading the other replies to your question, I'm going to increase my cleanings to at least once a week.

I have an A-frame that sits on grass (which I move every 4 or 5 days) so cleaning that one isn't an issue really, except for the area that the 3 hens sleep in. But I also have 5 chickens ((3 Silkies/ 2 hens, 1 roo) and a couple Columbian Rock hens)) in an old shed which has access to two outside runs. In there I line the floor with about 6 inches of dried grass from the previous lawn mowing. In the winter, I use straw. I'm contemplating (again, after reading these other posts here) to switching to perhaps sand. But I have a question concerning recycling of what comes out of these coop cleanings. Can you include things like straw, grass, sand, etc.. for compost bins or as additives in say..something like a square foot garden? Last year, I did just that and I ended up growing corn (which was not anything I had planted).

Just curious....

This is my 2nd year now of the country life as I have made the transformation from city boy/retired miltary ...

Thanks for any input.

God bless.

Any cleaner that works good to give a good deap clean to the coop? If like to get rid if the funky smell. I scoop the sand every 2-3 days but still has an odor.

I use oxine unactivated. It disinfects and is very safe. I wash my eggs that I sell with oxine too. :)

If my run starts to get funky, hubby will take a shovel and turn over the dirt/sand. It works like a charm. Or you can add new sand.

I clean coop poop every morning. Run (8x12 all sand) I scoop poop a couple times a day. I do a complete coop clean out (remove pine shavings, dust, wash everything with vinegar) 1x per month. Also 1x per month I sift all of the run sand. I use sweet PDZ in both coop and run. There is zero smell. I find cleaning out there to be relaxing!

I use Happy Hen Coop Cleaner that I order on-line from McMurray Hatchery. It is natural, Plant derived and Eco-friendly! All which are important to me.

Back
Top Bottom