How often do you hold your chicks?

garyk1398

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
Omaha, Ne
Just curious to see how often do the experienced folks handle/hold/ remove new chicks from the brooder. Then the a follow up question, how long do you keep them out of the brooder without fear of them getting cold? I plan on keeping in my basement and getting them out once a day. Sound right?

I held mine a lot. I let them get used to me for the first few days, but then i would take them out, hold them (one at a time of course) and play with them. I had a very open brooder (it was a bunny cage) so they could always see me. I could always see them. I would go open the little door and sit there with them for a while. They would take turns sitting on the door of the cage and get petted and stuff. Once a day is ok, but if you want them to be really close to you maybe a bit more then that.

I hold mine a lot right from the beginning- multiple times a day. I want them to get used to me and become tame. Plus they are just so cute and fun to hold
big_smile.png

Many times on weekends. Once during the week. I seem to work way too many hours plus an hour commute each way. So I don't get home until late and then dinner and then chick time. They each get handled nightly. Some longer than others. Was just telling DH that I could tell which ones are out longer with me as they are calmer once out and quieter.
about to pick up the last chick for the evening to hang with her. I will be narrowing it down this weekend to 3 from 6. And it will most likely be the ones that are out most as they are calmer whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom