How old are my chickens really??

mertzee

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Middle TN
Let me begin by apologizing for this lengthy post, I just want to be sure to include as much info as possible.

I bought my flock from a guy on a FB group and things got off to a rocky start. I lost one due to a respiratory illness I believe she had upon arrival within a week of arrival. (I have never had chickens so she didn't get it from any other bird I've got.) Since then I have treated my entire flock and thankfully none are gurgling anymore. That said, I have a sneaky suspicion that my hens are much older than what I was told as I am only getting one egg a day from 4 hens. They all appear healthy. I have one who upon arrival was top hen and a straight up bully. She and the others would pick on one. She got sick too and after I separated her just for a day or so, I put her back and she is at the bottom of the pecking order. Since then she doesn't eat well. I don't know if they are traumatized from the illness and treatment or if they are just all getting old and I got scammed or if something else could be going on. How do I tell how old my hens really are? I hope this all makes sense. Any thoughts would be greatly apprecia
tempImagelecUFw.jpg
ted.

Attachments

• tempImage2oOk8l.png
    tempImage2oOk8l.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImage6hRaye.png
    tempImage6hRaye.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImageQhNfZB.png
    tempImageQhNfZB.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
What breeds are they? Some breeds just aren't good layers. Wild chickens only day 10-15 eggs a year before domestication. Domestication has bred them too lay WAY more then that. So, some breeds are good layers, some aren't and it really depends on breeding.
That said, it can be perfectly normal to only get 1 egg a day from 4 hens, if they aren't a breed to lay a bunch of eggs.

It's very hard to tell the age of birds once they're mature.
Is there any way to encourage more laying? I work full time so I don't know if I have one consistent layer or if they are all taking a turn. :rolleyes: When I got them 3 weeks ago I was getting 4 eggs a day. Since then, they all but one got sick and have since recovered. I don't know if they should be recovered or maybe still recovering? They are all but the one eating well. I'm just puzzled by the whole thing.

What breeds are they? Some breeds just aren't good layers. Wild chickens only day 10-15 eggs a year before domestication. Domestication has bred them too lay WAY more then that. So, some breeds are good layers, some aren't and it really depends on breeding.
That said, it can be perfectly normal to only get 1 egg a day from 4 hens, if they aren't a breed to lay a bunch of eggs.
They are black sexlinks.

Is there any way to encourage more laying? I work full time so I don't know if I have one consistent layer or if they are all taking a turn. :rolleyes: When I got them 3 weeks ago I was getting 4 eggs a day. Since then, they all but one got sick and have since recovered. I don't know if they should be recovered or maybe still recovering? They are all but the one eating well. I'm just puzzled by the whole thing.
My guess would be they're recovering from the sickness. It may also be the extremity of the season where you live. My birds only lay well in spring because the other seasons here are extremely hot or extremely cold!

They are probably recovering as well. Sickness will slow laying as well.

I'd guess around 2 years old. Their legs are pretty dull, a sign of an older hen who has been a layer. Since their feathers are in great condition, they probably molted this winter (so at least 16 months old).

What do you feed them? Do you know what the previous seller was feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom