how old do muscovy ducks have to be to tell the gender?

If there's a chance that they come from a different clutch as were mine, you could tell their gender after 12-13 weeks.

I am not sure, because I bought them from a lady that breeds muscovies in her backyard. She had a bunch of muscovies, including a huge white male that I thought was a goose at first from being so huge. I got mine at a week old, but she also had older ones also.

I am not sure, because I bought them from a lady that breeds muscovies in her backyard. She had a bunch of muscovies, including a huge white male that I thought was a goose at first from being so huge. I got mine at a week old, but she also had older ones also.
If you indeed have drake and duck I think in the next couple weeks you'll diff know.

So basically your not sure if they are the same aging? As i said by 5wks it was becoming apparent, my last clutch consisted of mainly boys, those boys are like rockets with the growth.

My little duck left behind is still just starting to compare to the mature ducks, she is still smaller than them, they just are much slower to fill out.

I'll see if can watch the video today, but pictures of the ducks side by side, with legs and overall body are helpful. I know easier said than done, i have some who run when a camera comes out lol

Last edited:
Here is a video of my Muscovies taking a bath with my adult runner drake. It shows how much they have grown as of now.

I need to get a video of them talking to each other. They were quiet and didn't want to talk with the camara on.

Ok, i cannot really see the dark one well enough.. but that white one is looking ducky to me, especially with the above shot... it's head, overall lack of bulk.

It is the legs look thick to me, I am new to muscovies. So I do not know how thick male legs look. There is male muscovies, that is what a lady told me they were males and the legs looked as thick as the white muscovy and it has a chest as big as mine. So its a mystery to me, sorry about all the asking.

It is the legs look thick to me, I am new to muscovies. So I do not know how thick male legs look. There is male muscovies, that is what a lady told me they were males and the legs looked as thick as the white muscovy and it has a chest as big as mine. So its a mystery to me, sorry about all the asking.

Nothing wrong with asking, your actually in a long line of people who do, at one time myself, until well, i have had over 20 of them now so i know better... The issue is though ducks in Muscovy have thick legs too, not as thick as a male but still no pencil and leg thickness varies a touch too. My two remaining drakes are not the same size.

One of my best shots, mind you old but still is of these two.. they were 5+mths, the drake is kinda obvious, and the duck again i think it's pretty plain lol

It's hard, especially in pictures because you need things you can relate too, plus if you have all the same genders it gets confusing... I have had both genders here, mainly drakes but have raised enough of them now to be able to see the telltale signs.

Nothing wrong with asking, your actually in a long line of people who do, at one time myself, until well, i have had over 20 of them now so i know better... The issue is though ducks in Muscovy have thick legs too, not as thick as a male but still no pencil and leg thickness varies a touch too. My two remaining drakes are not the same size.

One of my best shots, mind you old but still is of these two.. they were 5+mths, the drake is kinda obvious, and the duck again i think it's pretty plain lol

It's hard, especially in pictures because you need things you can relate too, plus if you have all the same genders it gets confusing... I have had both genders here, mainly drakes but have raised enough of them now to be able to see the telltale signs.
Yep thats a telltale sign for sure. lol

How old are they in the video? My guess is that both are girls. My drake is almost 17 weeks old and his flight feathers are still partially covered in membrane. My female had her flight feathers in way earlier than the drake and was trying to fly. I see yours have got fully developed flight feathers and they look quite light figured for drakes.
wink.png

Last edited:
They are 10 weeks old. I thought the white one was a drake because it is a pound more then the dark one. It also got a big chest. I guess I just got a big fat female muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom