How old is too old for chickens

Also, are you prepared to eat an old hen? Taste might not be near as good as 10 week old Cornish meat bird.

It's not going to be tender, but a retired laying hen makes the world's BEST chicken and dumplings.

Crockpot overnight, cool it enough to handle, pick the meat from the bones, and you are golden for that classic meal.

It's not going to be tender, but a retired laying hen makes the world's BEST chicken and dumplings.

Crockpot overnight, cool it enough to handle, pick the meat from the bones, and you are golden for that classic meal.

Thanks. I love chicken and dumplings. Most of my hens are dual purpose breeds, but I have not culled them yet. Probably should because at 3+ years old, I am not seeing many eggs but they eat just as much as ever.

I've been a vegetarian for decades, but I miss chicken and dumplings. That's the only meat dish I miss.

So you've never eaten a layer breed?

I raised meat birds in the past, butchered them myself around 10 weeks old, and we ate them. They were very good.

I bought dual purpose layers with the idea to cull the hens when they got older and eat them. But, so far, I have had some hens die from sickness and I won't butcher and eat a chicken that dies from a possible disease.

If I do cull my older stock before winter, I'll be sure to cook them in a crock pot overnight as suggested. Dear Wife makes great chicken soup and I make the dumplings. In fact, last night we had chicken and dumplings which was really good as the weather is now in the 30's and 40's during the day. Warms the house and the belly.

I was going to do this today, but the cockerels I butchered on Thursday were still stiff last night. :(
I butchered cockerels on Thursday, too. Twelve of them resting nicely in my 2nd refrigerator. I just checked, and they are starting to loosen up a little. I plan to part them out tomorrow morning, soak them in brine for about 10-12 hours, then shrink-pack and freeze before bed. How do you process yours after slaughter?

I butchered cockerels on Thursday, too. Twelve of them resting nicely in my 2nd refrigerator. I just checked, and they are starting to loosen up a little. I plan to part them out tomorrow morning, soak them in brine for about 10-12 hours, then shrink-pack and freeze before bed. How do you process yours after slaughter?

I go over them for pinfeathers, etc. and then squeeze them into gallon ziplocks for the freezer. Though I *had* planned on crockpotting all of these for broth and picked chicken so as to have chicken and dumplings tonight and some in reserve for soup in a few weeks.

(My electric canner doubles as a slow cooker so I'd have space to do multiple birds at the same time).

Back
Top Bottom