How reliable are automatic coop doors?

Pics
One thing I don’t understand about automatic doors is who’s to say all the chickens went inside before the door closes? What if the door closes and a few weren’t ready to go inside? They’re stuck outside ?

There are measures that you can take to make this less of an issue.

To start, make sure that there is no light on that are close to the coop. As in porch lights, garage lights, security lights, any lights that they will be drawn to.

Chickens have bad eyesight in the dark so the will flock to the place with the best possible light, as it is getting dark. So turn those off before nightfall and turn them back on 30 min after. That is if the coop is close enough that it becomes an issue.

So now you will set the door to close 30 min to an hour after nightfall.

Adding that you should add lights inside and outside. On an Astronomical Timer or SONOFF 4CH Pro R3 Wi-Fi Smart Switch 4-Channel Din Rail Mounting Home Automation,Self-Locking/Interlock Control Home Appliances, RF/APP/Voice/LAN Control, Works with Alexa, have the lights turn on 30 min to an hour before sunset. Have the outside light turn off at sunset. Leaving the inside lights on. They will flock to the light and go inside. Turn off the light 30 min to an hour after sunset and then have the door close.

BTW With that same smart switch you can control a Linear Actuator to open and close a door. Makes it way cheaper than buying a Premade door.

If you have AC power to the coop you can use SONOFF B05-BL-A19 Wi-Fi Smart RGB Bulb 9W Variable Color, 2700K - 6500K Brightness Adjustable Color Temperature, APP Remote Control, Work with Alexa and Google Assistant Instead of the Smart Switches to do the lighting.

Automatic doors use a sensor that is based on technology. It can't tell if what's coming through the door is a fox or chicken. Or other. So in theory it will let ANYTHING through that wants in that goes by the sensor.

Automatic doors use a sensor that is based on technology. It can't tell if what's coming through the door is a fox or chicken. Or other. So in theory it will let ANYTHING through that wants in that goes by the sensor.
I think you’re mistaken how they work. They open in the morning either by sensing light or by a set time and they close in the evening again by sensing darkness or a set time. The door will remain closed throughout the night and only reopen in the morning, just like a manual pop door controlled by the chicken owner. It doesn’t work like the auto doors at a store that open and close when they sense movement.

Automatic doors use a sensor that is based on technology.
Not all doors have sensors.

It can't tell if what's coming through the door is a fox or chicken. Or other.

If you want something like that you can install an RFI chip reader and chip the flock. It doesn't cost much for the chips but the readers are up there. However homemade can be used. It all depends on how much time money and effort you wanna put into it.

You could always use a pat door already made for that.

I’m sure they could. But it would be pretty pointless.
Not saying it is a good thing but it can be was my point. Seen it done with RFI chips so the door only opens for the chickens. First it senses motion then it reads the chip. That way the RFI reader is not on all the time.

Some would say that's a very good point.

Every time I think about getting one, I remember the night a possum was hiding in the coop when I closed the door myself. The chickens had no way to escape when he started slicing and dicing. It taught me to make sure there are no monsters under the bed before tucking them in. I don't think I would rest easy with an automatic door closing them in.

Every time I think about getting one, I remember the night a possum was hiding in the coop when I closed the door myself. The chickens had no way to escape when he started slicing and dicing. It taught me to make sure there are no monsters under the bed before tucking them in. I don't think I would rest easy with an automatic door closing them in.
That sounds absolutely horrible. Im sorry that happened!

Im not too concerned about things like that since the coop is attached to a run and our dogs parole the yard most of the day/evening. If anything has the guts to enter the yard it would be late night while we sleep.

Back
Top Bottom