How soon can you tell colors of chicks? Wing feathers come in true?

penella22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
So I am a brand new chick mom, with 8 baby chicks that are now 10 days old! I got them from Meyer Hatchery on May 29th. I ordered all laying hens; a Blue Orpington, 2 Blue-laced Red Wyandottes, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, 2 Blue Ameracaunas, and 2 Welsummers.

Being brand new to this, I'm not sure I'm ID'ing which chick is what breed or color correctly. But now that they have most of their wing feathers in, I am noticing that none of them look like Blue-laced Red Wyandottes! And while I have one very chipmunky Welsummer, I *think* the other Welsummer has a solid brown head? Here's a video of them, I tried to get a close-up of their wing feathers a few times. Wondering if more experienced chicken owners see the breeds in there that I am supposed to have? The 2 Blue Ameracaunas have little puffy cheeks--muffs?--are they really Ameracaunas, or Easter Eggers? (Meyer Hatchery sells both so I thought mayeb there was a chance my Ameracaunas are actually Ameracaunas?)

I'm also thinking there are some roo's!! The chipmunky Welsummer is pretty big!!!

Anyhow, wondering what colors people see / any breed ID's etc. Thanks!

0.jpg

Individual pictures of each would be easier. I do see Wyandottes. With the blue laced reds you can get black laced, blue laced or splash laced reds. They are too young yet to tell apart from the gold laced. Meyer does have true blue Ameraucanas. It is too early to tell if any are cockerels.

Individual pictures of each would be easier. I do see Wyandottes. With the blue laced reds you can get black laced, blue laced or splash laced reds. They are too young yet to tell apart from the gold laced. Meyer does have true blue Ameraucanas. It is too early to tell if any are cockerels.
x2. Still pics are best, but these babies are so young, they're going to change a lot before they're mature.

Back
Top Bottom