How the Heck do You Get this Thing OPEN?!?

any tips or tricks on getting this type of waterer open?

Strap wrenches come in a variety of sizes to open large jars, etc...
15355956.jpg

I believe you can make these metal ones rust faster by having them in contact with concrete. I put mine on wood blocks. But then mine is fairly new yet. I had a bil who worked in concrete and told me not have metal in direct contact with it.
Really? I didn't know that! I've got several scraps of plywood just the right size. I'll put a couple of them under them tomorrow.

I don't like the metal ones either. They're ok at first, but you can't open them up to top off, you have to wait until they're almost empty. Then, after a couple years, they rust out.
I'll stick with the plastic ones - they've served my birds well and lasted for several years - oldest one is probably about 15 years old and I've replaced the o-ring once.

I don't like the metal ones either. They're ok at first, but you can't open them up to top off, you have to wait until they're almost empty. Then, after a couple years, they rust out.

My 3-gallon metal waterer fount has worked flawlessly for 3+ years. No rust. Easy to open and clean. Also, I have it sitting on top of a metal base heater for about 6 months out of the year. Don't know if you can use a base heater with plastic waterers, but where I live, the choice is metal over plastic if you go by how many units of each are sold at the local Fleet store.

Nothing against plastic if it works for others. It's nice to have many options because we all live in different climates and have different needs.

I have one ...I hate it. The only time it gets opened to refill is when my husband does it. I would never purchase another!
I hate mine too! I only use it in the summer when they're free ranging. I put it under a shady area so they have a source nearby instead of going all the way to their coop for a drink.
But I hate it.

T-Post! Thank you! I have one of the same waterers, and similar problems. I have to be careful how much I tighten the lid. Still, sometimes when it's frozen around the lid what I have to do: Take it out of the base and lay it on its side, press a knee onto the bottle to hold it, and use shoulder and arm strength to get the damn lid off. Saves my hands, but still a pain in the ass. Most days I just press my boot against the base and bottle, and can use both hands then to open the lid.
I have a T-post not three feet away from where this waterer sits, and never thought of using it. Thank you for the suggestion!
I can't get mine off the base! How is that done? I clean it with a bleach solution but I cannot take it apart.

My 3-gallon metal waterer fount has worked flawlessly for 3+ years. No rust. Easy to open and clean. Also, I have it sitting on top of a metal base heater for about 6 months out of the year. Don't know if you can use a base heater with plastic waterers, but where I live, the choice is metal over plastic if you go by how many units of each are sold at the local Fleet store.

Nothing against plastic if it works for others. It's nice to have many options because we all live in different climates and have different needs.
There are base heaters that work with plastic waterers but they typically don't work in extreme cold because they can't get to hot or it would melt the plastic. I used mine cranked up to the highest setting during the last cold snap we had and it kept water from freezing when it was about 2 degrees F but the water was cold.
I can't get mine off the base! How is that done? I clean it with a bleach solution but I cannot take it apart.
If you have the same style as in the picture at the start of the post then yes they can be a bit tricky but if you hold the bottom down (firmly) and use one hand to release one of the red clamps in the base and your other hand to tilt and pull the water jug it should come free with a little work. I thought at first it would be easier when it was empty but I've found removing it from the base is actually easier when water jug was full. The weight of the jug when you tilt it helps you get it free from the base. Now I have the 3 gal version, i'm not 100% sure this is how the 5 gal version works.

Back
Top Bottom