How the rooster does the fertilizing,,,

You guys are all great. I told Fred that I had posted asking about the great question. Told him I could hardly wait to see what you all had to say, and that none of you thought I was well, special. He just looked real puzzled and asked why I posted that. Told me I should have Googled it.... I didn't even think of that to be honest. I want the experts to answer!!!

Fred part of Fred. I will pass on the video. My mind is swarming now with pictures of amorous roosters lining up to "perform on command." Doffing their combs and strutting up to the lucky hen, making sure his feathers are especially neat and raising a foot up to inspect the nails while blowing on them. I know. I need to get out more!!

Donrae, I will try the chicken love story. Hey, it worked for my boys were they were chicks!! LOL!!!

I appreciate all the input. Our youngest asked me the other morning at breakfast while eating eggs and sausage, which part was the chick part of the egg. I told him I had neglected a large part of his upbringing....

Deb.

Not silly, any question seeking knowledge can't be. They don't have to be broody for the eggs to be fertile. Most all hens eggs are fertile if there is a rooster with the flock.

It gets a little confusing.

If the rooster and the hen have mated and the egg and sperm combine then the egg is fertile. The cells that can potentially form a chick will start to divide and create a small white bulls-eye like spot on the egg yolk. (Technically my first post at the beginning of this thread is a little incorrect but its too late to edit--this can be considered an embryo as cell division has started, however it is only on the most basic level has not started to form into anything yet.)

Once the egg has been laid the temperature drops and all cell division stops. What you have is a normal looking egg that is fine to eat. You can tell it is fertile from that very small white mark. (not the white chunky meat spots some people say are fertile, it is just a really faint small bullseye)

If the egg maintains a low temperature nothing will happen and no cell division will continue ever. If it reaches a high enough temp (from a broody hen or an incubator) then the cell division will restart and a chick will form.

So, you do need a broody (or fake broody machine) to make a chicken but you do not need one to have a fertile egg.

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/resources/egg_to_chick/development.html

Last edited:
Ahhh ha! Thanks for thorough explanation. I have seen that bullseye several times in my eggs. Now I am very interested in hatching a few of my own! Just trying to decide on a small incubator. :) I am new to BYC and to hatching, so I am still learning. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain further.

gives a whole new meaning to "ruffled her feathers" doesn't it
wink.png

You may also want to tell him that the rooster does not determine the sex of the chick - the hen does.
The rooster contributes only the "y" or female chromosome. The hen contributes either a "y" or a "z" to each egg.
"yy" is female; "yz" is male. Makes breeding hell when the great rooster is throwing out just hens.

thanks everyone! I was arguing with another city girl that said something TOTALLY different...so this answers my question. Just started getting eggs today!! I have a silkie rooster and regular size hens. was told the eggs would be big from the tetra tints and red sex links....but these eggs are smaller, does that mean the silkie rooster mated and I am getting smaller eggs?

Back
Top Bottom