How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
You can have a perch/roost in your Broody Buster cage, just no bedding. And have it set up on blocks or sawhorses, or hanging from rafters, so there is good airflow underneath her. Here in South Fla we don't have to deal with below freezing, but I guess if your other chickens are okay in that weather, your broody should be also. Just not in a cage set right on the ground. Your solution to put her Broody Buster cage indoors, with a roost, sounds great. If she still acts broody indoors, set the cage up higher.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply......how long does it usually take or how do I know her boodiness is broke :)

It's okay to keep them confined for the 3-4 days needed to break their broody spell. Chickens have thousands of years' worth of domestication in their DNA, they're not wild eagles yearning for their freedom. When you let her out you can see if she's more interested in staying in the run to scratch & peck or tries to go back to her nest spot after a brief dust bath.

Your plan to incorporate space for a Broody Buster within your coop sounds smart, especially in your cold climate. But you shouldn't need a lamp for heat if the other hens aren't using one. And if your coop is dimly lit you could either properly wire it for a light or just use a battery-powered lamp to un-inspire your broody on days when it's too cold to put her cage outside in the daytime. I've heard too many stories of coop fires caused by lamps used for warmth.

But you may wish to re-consider the broody factor, especially with keeping bantams whose nature is to brood. Some hens, even bantams, are easy to discourage and may seldom if ever try again. Other hens more frequently cycle between laying & brooding, especially in the spring, and it seems unkind to try and change their deep-seated instincts.

You may want to also add some broody pens in your coop, little enclosures with room for a nest and a square foot of room to stand and get food & water. Don't put them where the other hens will see & get similarly inspired. If you don't have fertile eggs to set you should be able to find others in your area who have some. If you don't want to continue to add new birds to your flock many folks will be happy to have your hen hatch eggs for them and can take the chicks back after they're 4-6 weeks old.

Okay, thank you for the advice about confining!

The only time I was going to use a light for warmth would be if it got very cold, which it seldom does here. I know what you mean about coop fires, as that was one thing I was worried about too, so I doubt I'd use a wired light at all, come to think about it. Your idea of a battery powered lamp to un-inspire a broody sounds like a great idea though. We have some of those larger pop lights (the kind you press down on the top to turn on), but I didn't even think about that, lol! Thank you for the idea!

I tried to pick bantam breeds whose larger counterparts don't normally get deeply broody (but for the d'Uccles), but know that broodiness is common with bantams and know that much can depend on the individual hen. If I get a hen/s that the instinct is deep-seated with, I will try to find some eggs for her/them to hatch for someone. If I can't, I'd just re-home her/them with someone looking for a good broody/broodies. Like you, I don't feel it's fair, and don't want to be unkind, by trying to change a deep-seated instinct in a hen. See, this is one thing I was on the fence about with getting bantams. My husband was adamant about getting them though, plus I have a 10 yr. old daughter that was wanting them, and I thought bantams would be best 'cause we don't have a whole lot of room. I want my chickens to have as much room as I can 'cause I have to keep them in a run 'cause of where I live. Because of space issues, I thought it would be the most fair to the birds to get small ones instead of large fowl. I got a large dog kennel (outdoor run) to use as a run for the chickens. I want my chickens to be as happy and comfortable as I can make them.

If I do get a particularly broody hen/s that I can find fertile eggs for them/or her to hatch for people, I will be sure to make some broody pens where the other hens can't see and get inspired from.

Thank you so much for all of your advice.
hugs.gif

If there's anything I've said that I'm wrong or mistaken on, please let me know.
smile.png

Last edited:
I usually give the hen 3-4 days in the Broody Buster, then in the afternoon take her out and set her in the yard with her flock-mates. If she stays with them and goes to roost at dark I figure her mood is broken. If she goes back to the nest then I put her back in the Buster for another 1-2 days, and repeat.

Of course, if she lays an egg in the Buster and doesn't set on it, that's also a great indicator that her attitude has been re-adjusted.

Chikenbutwut, it sounds like you've got things well planned. You've got good reasons to keep bantams, and have good plans for their possible broodiness. I wish you the best of success with your flock!

My hen just went into the broody buster
lets hope this helps

What a sweet looking broody!
Oh boy....I am dreading this coming warm up. I several girls that I can tell are on the edge of going broody. This pic reminds me to get the broody cage ready.
he.gif

Oh...and good luck with your girl!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom