How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
Quote: Gee, that behavior would concern me as well. All I can figure is that each hen has her own component of broody skills & behaviors, not all of them follow a textbook pattern. Hens must begin thinking broody thoughts several days or more before they begin to set, they need time to choose their nest and lay one egg per day until they reach their magic number and begin to set continuously and incubate them. Perhaps you encountered your hen in this pre-brooding stage, when she's still adding to her clutch but also feeling broody moods. Will you let her set when/if she decides she's ready?

I have a Cochin bantam and a buff orpington that are currently broody. It's my first time with broody hens so I was actually happy when I realized they were broody (it's kind of funny seeing my tiny bantam growling and puffing herself up at me). However, I'm going on vacation in a few days and I don't think my chicken-sitter will like being pecked at when ever she collects the eggs so I want to break their broodiness. I heard that putting ice packs under the chickens can stop them being broody. Is this true?

Well today's Buffy's freedom day. Cross your fingers for me and her.

It took one extra night for poor Buffy but she's successfully broken. Hasn't started back laying again but she is not sleeping on the nesting area, foraging like normal and roosting normally at night so I'm sure it won't be long. She's always been a very steady layer.

How long will a hen remain broody if you don't do anything to stop it? I have a silkie that has been broody for at least three weeks. Will she stop on her own?

Bcmama, I think a broody hen should either be allowed to hatch eggs or be made to change her mood. Otherwise they may set for no reason for many many weeks and that can be detrimental to their health. Silkies are typically a broody breed. I would either let her set even a couple of eggs or give her to someone who would like a broody hen.

Sbriant, are your broody hens in the same enclosure as your other hens? Are you collecting the new eggs the other hens lay in the broody's nest? It wouldn't hurt much to leave all the new eggs in place for a few days until you return. Or block off the broody nests so they are isolated.

I've never tried the ice water method to break a broody, the wire pen has always worked well for my hens.

Oh, please don't dunk them in cold water. You could kill her from fright and the shock of the cold water.

Breaking a broody is a process. Typically, takes 3-4 days. Some take a tad longer. I've been able to break mine in 3 days four nights in a broody breaker. It's really much more humane.

Oh, please don't dunk them in cold water.  You could kill her from fright and the shock of the cold water.

Breaking a broody is a process.  Typically, takes 3-4 days.  Some take a tad longer.  I've been able to break mine in 3 days four nights in a broody breaker.  It's really much more humane.

I think the only ice mentioned was putting ice packs under her. I saw another member post that they used a refrigerated egg to break theirs.

Oh, please don't dunk them in cold water. You could kill her from fright and the shock of the cold water.

Breaking a broody is a process. Typically, takes 3-4 days. Some take a tad longer. I've been able to break mine in 3 days four nights in a broody breaker. It's really much more humane.
I definetly won't do that. I agree that it would be VERY bed for her. I've heard that chickens can die from being wet with regular watter let alone ice water. I did end up trying the ice pack method but stopped half way because I felt bad about making her bare chest so cold (spoiled chickens hehe).

Bcmama, I think a broody hen should either be allowed to hatch eggs or be made to change her mood. Otherwise they may set for no reason for many many weeks and that can be detrimental to their health. Silkies are typically a broody breed. I would either let her set even a couple of eggs or give her to someone who would like a broody hen.

Sbriant, are your broody hens in the same enclosure as your other hens? Are you collecting the new eggs the other hens lay in the broody's nest? It wouldn't hurt much to leave all the new eggs in place for a few days until you return. Or block off the broody nests so they are isolated.

I've never tried the ice water method to break a broody, the wire pen has always worked well for my hens.
Yes they are in the same coop. I live in the city so I don't have a very big coop or area for another enclosure. I am collecting the new eggs from my other hens. I will try the wire cage method, thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom