How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
Quote: DEFINITELY leave her in the box over night, otherwise she'll be right back on the nest. It isn't even close to cold and they don't sleep in bedding while on a roost anyway, right? You WANT her to be cold underneath. Mine break faster in the winter, a day or 2, when the temps are well below freezing. Many, many days when it is warmer. I think 1/2" hardware cloth would be better for the floor. Chicken wire is meant for fences to keep chickens where you want them (unless it is < 5', more for some breeds. Then it keeps the chickens where THEY want to be ;) ) I have FOUR stupid broody birds now. My buster is big enough for maybe 3. I put Zorra (BIG Black Australorp) and Peep (Cubalaya) in the box yesterday (talk about a weight difference!) Zorra was still in there later but Peep, being a small bird managed to get out the door. It is hinged on the bottom and held closed (at least for the REST of the birds) by a cord at the top. She needed only about 1.5" to squeeze out. The 2 Faverolles (who have REPEATEDLY gone broody) crammed themselves in a single nest box, I think the other girls forced one out of another box. Peep has USUALLY been fairly easy to break and Zorra was as well when she went broody the first time a few months ago. Figured if I could break them, the box would be available for the 5 or more days the Favs will need. So, last night Zorra was still in, Peep hadn't gone back in the nest but she still had attitude so I expect she is still a problem. Bruce

Hi, Please help! We have two Pekin Bantams and no other hens. Both are broody. Would the "cage" method of breraking them work ok if they are both in there together?

I'm thinking the cage method would work with 2 in the cage. It worked with my one. I did put a roosting pole in the cage for her too. Although I haven't tried 2 at one time, I would try 2 at one time. I guess the only thing I would keep an eye on would be if they peck each other. Key is making sure there is air flow in the cage under their behinds and no way to "nest" so they cool off. Took mine 3 days and she was fine. Good luck!

I'm thinking the cage method would work with 2 in the cage. It worked with my one. I did put a roosting pole in the cage for her too. Although I haven't tried 2 at one time, I would try 2 at one time. I guess the only thing I would keep an eye on would be if they peck each other. Key is making sure there is air flow in the cage under their behinds and no way to "nest" so they cool off. Took mine 3 days and she was fine. Good luck!

Hi, Please help! We have two Pekin Bantams and no other hens. Both are broody. Would the "cage" method of breraking them work ok if they are both in there together?

Yes, as long as the cage is big enough for 2 birds. I have 2 Faverolles (stupid, stupid broody birds) in the buster now. It is ~18" deep and wide and 24" long.

Zorra, the big Black Australorp broke. I had her in there with the little Cubalaya but Peep snuck out. The door hinges on the bottom and is held closed with a piece of light line. There was a gap, maybe1.5" at the top and, well, there she was in the morning, NOT in the buster. But she isn't broody any more. I guess she gave herself a pardon.
big_smile.png

The important thing AFAIK is to get air under them which is why just stuffing them in a plastic dog kennel or in a cage on the floor won't work.

Bruce

After my BSL attacked my hand when I tried to remove her from the nesting box where she had been sitting for seems like 2 days, I put her in the yard where she ate lots of grass with her "sister" After reading this, article , I see this isn't a "Frankin-chicken" just a broody hen. I hope I can break her soon, she is not her loveable self

Flachickman--I used a towel to put over my not so friendly hen while she was "sitting" in her nesting box. I put the towel completely over her and lifted her out. When I had her out--holding her football style under my left arm, I uncovered her head and petted and talked sweet to her to let her know I meant no harm. I then placed her in an all wire cage. The cage was set on blocks so air could flow through the bottom with no nesting materials--to "cool" her boo-tay. I put a roosting pole in it for her and her own food and water. She stayed 3 days, I let her out and she was "broken" from being broody. She went back to the flock and has been normal since. Funny thing is--she would never let me near her and was very unfriendly but after she came out of the cage, she lets me pet her. Seems like her alone time and me going out numerous times a day to talk to and pet her through the cage made her realize I'm not so bad after all!

Flachickman--I used a towel to put over my not so friendly hen while she was "sitting" in her nesting box. I put the towel completely over her and lifted her out. When I had her out--holding her football style under my left arm, I uncovered her head and petted and talked sweet to her to let her know I meant no harm. I then placed her in an all wire cage. The cage was set on blocks so air could flow through the bottom with no nesting materials--to "cool" her boo-tay. I put a roosting pole in it for her and her own food and water. She stayed 3 days, I let her out and she was "broken" from being broody. She went back to the flock and has been normal since. Funny thing is--she would never let me near her and was very unfriendly but after she came out of the cage, she lets me pet her. Seems like her alone time and me going out numerous times a day to talk to and pet her through the cage made her realize I'm not so bad after all!

I think that is important. The hen can't help it and the broody box isn't punishment. It just is NOT good for a chicken's health to sit in a nest on no eggs all day, day after day. My broodies get evening scratch even when they are in the box. I let them out in the morning if they don't seem too wound up so they can see a little of the world and share morning treats. If they go back in the nest, they go back in the box. You can usually tell when they are broody vs broken. When broody ALL they want is out of that box and when let out they run like their tails are on fire. If they are broken, they are calm in the box, come out when I open the door, hop down (my box sits on the end of the roosts) and head out like it is just another day.

Mine only use their nesting boxes to lay. I know immediately if one of mine is broody bc she won't come out of the nesting box. That's how I knew I needed to break her up from being broody. I just don't have time for chicks now and I like my small flock of 8 hens and 1 rooster. Maybe one day, I'll let one of them lay and hatch some...

Back
Top Bottom