How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
I feel your pain. I have 4 salmon faverolles and i have had to use the broody breaker 7 times now in the past 8 months. They are just a year and a half. What a pain. I have 6 buffs that are 13 weeks old. If they are less broody im giving my faverolles away. They are not only broody but LOUD. My buff orpingtons barely make any noise at all.

Both of my Favs go broody several times a year. Supposedly winter layers, nope. Occasionally get an egg in the low end of USDA Medium, usually USDA Small. Low production. And they are also loud. Once they get going a number of the other birds start in as well. Not the favorites of my flock.

Both of my Favs go broody several times a year. Supposedly winter layers, nope. Occasionally get an egg in the low end of USDA Medium, usually USDA Small. Low production. And they are also loud. Once they get going a number of the other birds start in as well. Not the favorites of my flock.

Mine did lay through the winter about 3 eggs per hen per week so thats good but the broody behavior is a lot, more so then i thought. It only took one day in the broody breaker for my queen mrs piggy and she didnt want to stay in the broody breaker. Lol i think hosing her off helped

Man, this is so time-sensitive to me! I have a broody who is really a sweet girl, but stubborn! I took her out of the nest box a dozen times in a half hour...........I'll try to cage method and see what happens. But what I suspect will happen is that as soon as I get her broken, 2 more will be taking her place *sigh*

I've done the same but don't want to go any further, I'm happy for her to get over her broodiness herself but I'm wondering is this safe and ok. I'm knew to hen keeping.

Locking a hen in an elevated cage with food and water but no nest in a predator-safe place will not harm her. Don’t put her where it will be extremely hot, put her in the shade. It is safe, she will be OK. She won’t like it but she will be OK.

I remember Dad using the raised cage method over 6 decades ago. I’ve used it for a while. No hen has been harmed. It is a safe proven method. I’ve used it to break three broodies in the past week or so. Lock them up for three days and let them out. On rare occasions I have to repeat it, she goes back to the nest when I let her out, but that is pretty rare. It’s been a few years since that has happened.

I understand you being new and not being sure, you don’t want to hurt them. We all have to start somewhere. After trying it you will see that it does not hurt them.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

I've done the same but don't want to go any further, I'm happy for her to get over her broodiness herself but I'm wondering is this safe and ok.  I'm knew to hen keeping.

The way I see it is this. If a hen is busy sitting on an empty nest all day then that means she's not out scratching so her nails over grow. She's not out dustbathing so she's not ridding herself of mites. She's not eating regularly (or sometimes at all) so her body is wasting away. She's not drinking so she is always in a state of dehydration. Broodiness is natural, but it still takes a toll on the body. Mother nature created it because the payoff (an eventual clutch of chicks) is worth it in the natural world.

The problem is that there is nothing "natural" about how my hens live. In domesticating them, we've altered their laying patterns and so have also altered their patterns of broodiness. If they were a natural species they would only lay a clutch or two a year and be allowed to hatch them out. They wouldn't have their eggs stolen away and and then left to have their bodies needlessly subjected to a condition that takes such a toll on them. Even wild birds don't behave that way when their nests are raided and their eggs stolen. They don't continue to sit on empty nests for weeks on end. Their bodies switch that broodiness off and they lay another clutch if there is still time left in the season, or if the time isn't right they get back to doing what they need to do to live.

Some of my hens are perpetual broodies. If their bodies (that man has engineered) aren't able to shut that off, I'm going to help them if I can.

Back
Top Bottom