How to Break a Broody Hen

Hi, I have six fertilised eggs had delivered yesterday, only four fit into the my incubator so I've put the other 2 in the coup in the hope one of my girls might hatch them. Anyone got any advice or thoughts on this.
You need a broody hen. One that is broody, which is a hormonal phase will not sit on them except when they lay their eggs.

Graciesing2us you'd need to put those eggs under a hen who was "broody", who was in the mood to set on a nest all day & night for weeks and incubate eggs. It's difficult to make a hen go broody if she doesn't want to, if she isn't getting the signals from her body to do it. Some folks say that leaving a clutch (group) of eggs in a nest will inspire a hen to go broody, and maybe it does work a small percentage of the time. I think that leaving eggs in the nest is more likely to attract predators or encourage the hens to eat the eggs themselves.

You can take those fertile eggs and eat them yourself (there won't be any noticeable difference) or feed them to your dog. You could even scramble them and feed them to your chickens. Sometimes I'll put eggs, shells and all, into the blender and cook them for my chickens so they get the protein and the calcium from the shells.

My girl has been in 'jail' for 4 days now and will get parole at first light to see if she'll rejoin the crew or head back to sit and brood. Been heartbreaking seeing her in a cage as my Isa Brown hens free range the 1/4 acre block.

Fingers crossed that it works

Got a year old (Wyandotte) that was laying for a few months, went broody for a 3 days the end of January....Broke her by removing from the nest during the day & in the evening putting her on the roost with the other 4. March 9th she went broody again, removed from the nest whenever I was out & saw her, evenings putting her on the roost. She was suppose to go to someone that was going to use her to set eggs, I was told to "let her go" which I did. But it will be a month, the person never showed up and not returning my calls, what now?

I have a total of 5 Wyandottes, all lay in the same nest so she sits & collects them all. Once they're all done laying, I remove the eggs from under her (she puffs up but so sweet), remove her when I feed (she eats), remove her whenever I'm out & see her. Started removing her at nights but was told by the person that was suppose to come get her, not to as it'll stress her out....She's lost about half a pound. I've never dealt with a Broody
1f633.png
Guess that person's not interested anymore, so it's my "problem".

Plan is to remove Dotty from the nest once everyone's laying, blocking the nest until dark after they've roosted. Reading now the longer she's broody the long it's going to take to break her
1f616.png
Not having her lay is fine but I don't want her loosing anymore weight nor making her neurotic because she wants to set some eggs.

1. Would it be ok to just let her be Broody or is it unhealthy for her? When I remove her to eat she eats/drinks but maybe not enough cause she wants back in to the nest?

2. I'm looking into getting a wire crate but unsure where to put it, in the Run/Coop suspended? Or can it be on the ground? Feed her in the cage or let her out to eat/drink with the rest? This method I was hoping to avoid, feel bad for her.

3. I was told let her set some eggs but due to timing and family responsibilities won't be able to until mid May. Would this break her?

4. Any other ideas? If she wants to be broody, it's fine with me as long as it's not going to affect her health.

Any and all suggestions would be really appreciated.....

Got a year old (Wyandotte) that was laying for a few months, went broody for a 3 days the end of January....Broke her by removing from the nest during the day & in the evening putting her on the roost with the other 4. March 9th she went broody again, removed from the nest whenever I was out & saw her, evenings putting her on the roost. She was suppose to go to someone that was going to use her to set eggs, I was told to "let her go" which I did. But it will be a month, the person never showed up and not returning my calls, what now?

I have a total of 5 Wyandottes, all lay in the same nest so she sits & collects them all. Once they're all done laying, I remove the eggs from under her (she puffs up but so sweet), remove her when I feed (she eats), remove her whenever I'm out & see her. Started removing her at nights but was told by the person that was suppose to come get her, not to as it'll stress her out....She's lost about half a pound. I've never dealt with a Broody
1f633.png
Guess that person's not interested anymore, so it's my "problem".

Plan is to remove Dotty from the nest once everyone's laying, blocking the nest until dark after they've roosted. Reading now the longer she's broody the long it's going to take to break her
1f616.png
Not having her lay is fine but I don't want her loosing anymore weight nor making her neurotic because she wants to set some eggs.

1. Would it be ok to just let her be Broody or is it unhealthy for her? When I remove her to eat she eats/drinks but maybe not enough cause she wants back in to the nest?

2. I'm looking into getting a wire crate but unsure where to put it, in the Run/Coop suspended? Or can it be on the ground? Feed her in the cage or let her out to eat/drink with the rest? This method I was hoping to avoid, feel bad for her.

3. I was told let her set some eggs but due to timing and family responsibilities won't be able to until mid May. Would this break her?

4. Any other ideas? If she wants to be broody, it's fine with me as long as it's not going to affect her health.

Any and all suggestions would be really appreciated.....

Clarification: This cage was set up in the coop that held 3 of the four broody hopefuls. The Araucana was from the other coop, and I put her in there because her home coop is too small. It seemed to work fine since it was only 3 days in all but one case (the barnyard mix was extra stubborn).

I have a LArge Fowl Cochin that went broody 3 days ago. I put her in a wire bottom dog crate, elevated it and also laid a fan down to blow across the floor. She is still just laying in there, doesn't move all day. She doesn't hiss or peck at me when I take her out, but she just sleeps all the time. I am getting worried as she has lost weight. There are no eggs under her. She is usually a very social girl, and last night she ignored mealworms that I placed in front of her. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom