How to bury hardware cloth for under coop and runs.

Thanks! We have no grass here on the mountain except in the spring for a short time...so it is plain dirt most of the year. So anything I do will be on dirt
hmm.png
I WISH we could get a little grass!!! Also trying to find some alternatives to leaving the coop floor dirt, because we are wet and snowy a good portion of the year and it stays pretty muddy. I am planning on hatching Bantam Cochins....which have feathered feet so mud is not ideal!

This is what my wire apron looked like when I installed it. Grass grew up thru it and you can no longer see it in most places.

So the way this works is a digging predator will start at the base of the coop, trying to dig under to get in. In doing so, they are standing on the wire. They immediately hit the wire, and if they continue probing for a way in, it is up and down the line. They never figure out they need to back up to way out there and tunnel their way in.

So if grass isn't an option, it could be any low growing ground cover, or simply a landscape mulch of rocks or wood chips/bark.

Most common options to dirt floor are wood or if it is truly permanent, concrete. Wood floors are a viable option to keep things elevated and dry. It also has to be something that can deal with moisture, be it treated plywood or a plywood covered with vinyl floor sheathing. The thing with a low elevated wood floor is it leaves a nice place for rats and mice to hang out, so you have to be careful with how you handle feed to it doesn't spill and start collecting vermin.

Another option to dirt, wood or concrete might be to line the interior of the coop floor with concrete paving stones. The elevate the surface a bit, are cleaner will drain and if placed in there tight, should not allow a place for rats and mice to hang out.

If you want something that would look nicer than hardware cloth on plain dirt, I've seen people put a little gravel over it to make something that looks like a narrow walking path. Not too much, but enough to hide the wire. Or maybe you could try planting something other than grass, like clover, which the chickens would enjoy picking at and might be a little hardier too.

That may work! I definitely won't be able to bury it very far...but need to figure out a way to make sure the hardware cloth is anchored down securely!

This is what my wire apron looked like when I installed it. Grass grew up thru it and you can no longer see it in most places.

So the way this works is a digging predator will start at the base of the coop, trying to dig under to get in. In doing so, they are standing on the wire. They immediately hit the wire, and if they continue probing for a way in, it is up and down the line. They never figure out they need to back up to way out there and tunnel their way in.

So if grass isn't an option, it could be any low growing ground cover, or simply a landscape mulch of rocks or wood chips/bark.

Most common options to dirt floor are wood or if it is truly permanent, concrete. Wood floors are a viable option to keep things elevated and dry. It also has to be something that can deal with moisture, be it treated plywood or a plywood covered with vinyl floor sheathing. The thing with a low elevated wood floor is it leaves a nice place for rats and mice to hang out, so you have to be careful with how you handle feed to it doesn't spill and start collecting vermin.

Another option to dirt, wood or concrete might be to line the interior of the coop floor with concrete paving stones. The elevate the surface a bit, are cleaner will drain and if placed in there tight, should not allow a place for rats and mice to hang out.

Thank you so much for the advice and picture! This definitely helps
smile.png
So much to figure out!!! I like the idea of the concrete paving stones and may be the best option for us!

Thanks so much. I never heard of a calliche bar or a trenching shovel. This coop/run will be in a lawn, so the sod is also hard to get through. We have bermuda grass which is the worst thing to try to get through. I think I might try to see if a landscape place has a trencher. I'm 81, and even tho' I'm building my own coop, digging is another thing. Thanks again.

The Pick Mattock will do the job. You can ask someone and inreturn give him/her few dozen eggs later.

https://www.amazon.com/Graintex-PM1...8&qid=1484712986&sr=1-3&keywords=Pick+Mattock

Last edited:
Is it necessary to put cloth on the bottom of run and coop or is apron enough? If apron enough I think that would be better for chicken's feet.I'm renting so can't dig down and just got my 1st baby chicks(4 Issa Browns and 4 daisy rainbows).
Glad I used search-right away found answer to my question.
thanks

Is it necessary to put cloth on the bottom of run and coop or is apron enough? If apron enough I think that would be better for chicken's feet.I'm renting so can't dig down and just got my 1st baby chicks(4 Issa Browns and 4 daisy rainbows).
Glad I used search-right away found answer to my question.
thanks
Yes, if installed correctly...... and yes, much better for feets.

What does your coop and run look like? If it is wire, hog rings work well but I’ve also used J-clips. For wood, I put a furring strip over it and screw it down. Say a 1-1/2” to 3” wide by ¾” thick piece of wood placed over the wire, drill pilot holes to make starting the screws easy and keep from splitting the wood, and screw it on. I put screws through openings in the wire and often use fender washers on the screw heads in case the wood is soft and the screw head sinks down into the wood.

I make my own furring strips by ripping a 2x4, that’s where the 1-1/2” wide comes from, but you can also buy furring strips in various widths.

Back
Top Bottom