How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I don't know how to hypnotize and I did not use anaesthetic of any kind! I know that the bird feels some pain but I have no idea how much. I just think that I am giving roosters a better life than to be destroyed at the hatchery as an unwanted chick.
I clean the instruments with alcohol and paper towels the best I can.

Do you use a surgical hook to fish the testes out? They are pretty nifty.

Also, ever thought of using super glue on the incision? It's used quite frequently in veterinary surgery now. Maybe not on the muscle layer, but for sure on "skin" layer.

A chicken will stay out for a bit if you hypnotize it. Lay it on its back, kind of draw a line from the eye outward on the table. May take a time or two, but it's so amazing and weird at the same time. I think there are a couple other ways to do it too.

Quote:
I don't know how to hypnotize and I did not use anaesthetic of any kind! I know that the bird feels some pain but I have no idea how much. I just think that I am giving roosters a better life than to be destroyed at the hatchery as an unwanted chick.
I clean the instruments with alcohol and paper towels the best I can.

Do you use a surgical hook to fish the testes out? They are pretty nifty.

Also, ever thought of using super glue on the incision? It's used quite frequently in veterinary surgery now. Maybe not on the muscle layer, but for sure on "skin" layer.

A chicken will stay out for a bit if you hypnotize it. Lay it on its back, kind of draw a line from the eye outward on the table. May take a time or two, but it's so amazing and weird at the same time. I think there are a couple other ways to do it too.

If I remember right, cyanoacrylate adhesive super glue was first developed as a sutureless wound closure.BUt like the OP said, none of that is realy necessary in caponizing. Occasionally, the bird develops "wind puffs", i.e., the subcutaneous air bubbles mentioned. But otherwise, the procedure passes quickly from memory and the bird goes on to be a happy eunuch!
smile.png

caf.gif

wow, what an interesting post! There are some really knowledgable folks on this forum --- and smart too
big_smile.png

I've been hatch happy this year and have many roos.
caponizing is something I've been considering. seems like a lot of work. How much of a difference between using capons vs processing excess roosters young? Certainly the size will be different, but otherwise where is the benefit? thanks

Quote:
Some of the research I have done says that because the meat is older is has much more flavor. I guess I'll have to wait to find out if it is true!

How long did it take you, per bird? I've been considering trying this. I can't be sure who's a boy and who's a girl at 6 weeks or less. Sex-links would be helpful in that regard, but that's not what I raise.

I'm thinking that there are opportunities to relieve folks of excess male chicks, such as 'packing peanuts', left-over males at feed stores in the spring, etc. Many times, they're free for the asking, because people want them gone.

I haven't yet learned to vent-sex. If anybody has a link with really good, clear pictures of what to look for, that would be great. There were some posted a while back, but they weren't very clear.

Interesting......... Out of curiosity (I wouldn't really want to), what is the oldest chicken you can perform this procedure on? Can you do it to other types of poultry? Would capons make good pets?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom