How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news Wisdom_Seeker! I just won an e-bay bid for a caponizing kit circa 1910. It has a different type of rib spreader, and a different retreival tool. I'll let you know how they work once I get them.

When I get hold of a camera, I'll try to take a picture of my set-up for holding birds down. It is more than a little primitive, involving bricks, twine, and 2 milk crates, but works great.

Got 32 meat bird chicks in the mail today. Regular cornish X, not for caponizing, but I put my largest capon in with them to see if he displays any broody instincts. I'll report back if anything develops from this.

Quote:
clap.gif
Yay for you! Could you give us the link to the set you won? Do you mind telling us what it cost?

Can I borrow it? Huh? Can I?
big_smile.png

oh do let us know. I just ordered my kit, gonna hatch some of my own flock for a test run. Then I will order some barred rocks, I do so like them and sold my only pullet when all her hatch mates ended up boys and went to freezer camp.

Here is the hook I was talking about for fishing out the testes. I've seen it used on hundreds of cats (well not this exact hook, you know what I mean).

It's really great for fishing around inside an animal, and it's not pointy on the end so you shouldn't be able to perforate anything with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COVAULT-OVARIEC...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:1|66:4|39:1|293:1|294:200

And here's another vintage caponizing kit, looks a lot like what Wisdom has now. Has some interesting ties in it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Capon-T...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:1|66:4|39:1|293:1|294:200

Quote:
Poor ebay seller thinks he is selling this stuff to history buffs. He doesnt know he has a bunch of back yard Dr. Frankensteins on his hands.

I have to admit that after reading this thread, it gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies when you mention "fishing around inside of animals with hooks"
lol.png

Quote:
Poor ebay seller thinks he is selling this stuff to history buffs. He doesnt know he has a bunch of back yard Dr. Frankensteins on his hands.

I have to admit that after reading this thread, it gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies when you mention "fishing around inside of animals with hooks"
lol.png

FUNNY POST! Backyard Frankensteins!!!!!! That is a good one!!

I admit, seeing these pics makes me want to go out and caponize one of my roos but I won't....I have no need to do it....I am, however, experienced in performing these procedures on many animals.

Last edited:
I have bought two caponizing sets off e-bay, one Pilling and the other is a Montgomery Ward set. The tools look quite different. I am not sure which one I will use or maybe just some from each.

Thanks for the pics. They will be very helpful. I have a few Jersy Giants that will be ready soon and I will try my hand at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom