Well this wasn’t easy… (Bumblefoot between toes)

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I have a bird who’s had a noticeable bumblefoot lesion on her foot for a while now. It definitely pained her and she limped and laid down more often than not. When I first examined it, I found that the scab was in the cavity between her toes and slightly covered by the foot pad.
6D01C6E3-906F-450E-A345-0521354C7CBB.jpeg

If you can’t tell, the dark spot is the scab. It’s very hard to see and was difficult for me to even find, I only knew it was there due to the inflammation on the skin above,
D2757F2D-3A6D-4884-AEB3-71D580C13404.jpeg

However because of the depth and placement, and how the skin makes a canyon of it, the scab itself was too difficult to reach for removal even with the smallest tweezers.

I resorted to Epsom Salt soaking first in hopes that it could reduce the inflammation and prevent a need for surgery. That however did not prove successful and today I finally admitted defeat. She was in pain for too long.

I collected my supplies and got to work after having her soak for about 20 minutes to soften the scab. I flushed out the cavity with Tea Tree oil and tried again with the tweezers which delivered no luck. I could not see exactly where I was working which made me hesitant to use the small exacto-knife I had on hand, but it ended up being my only option. I began by scraping at the surface of the scab and removing pieces of it little by little. I was seriously surprised at how much scab there was to remove and how long it took. Because I was blind to where I was working, I had no idea where the core itself would be and what angle to dig it out from. It ended up being deeper in the gap than I thought, tucked under the skin of the foot pad. It was difficult to tell if I had removed the entire thing or not after it had already come out in two pieces so I continued to scrape out the area and remaining scab until I could feel my knife on live tissue. Getting the core out was SUCH a sense of relief after having seen her limping for so long.
07954161-1960-47F8-9D42-9476253E7B33.jpeg
86F5B2EF-52ED-4E2A-953B-46A0909C838A.jpeg
9AFF1FA3-9BCD-4048-A309-729B827FBA2A.jpeg
She did not bleed much at all which was surprising since I couldn’t see where the knife even was. When I finished, the swelling and inflamed lesion had “deflated”. I filled the cavity with Neosporin after flushing it out with Teatree oil, Saline and Vetericyn. I put a boot on over the bandages and will keep that on until the ground is dry.
34ED5311-7133-48A2-A035-F6EDB9D5B681.jpeg

I had to cut the toes on the boot so it fit but I think it should do well as cushion and weather protection for as long as she needs.

I just wanted to share the story after having spent so much time on all of this. It took over an hour of tedious work and patience. I sure hope this is the LAST time I’ll ever see this. I was not a fan.

Back
Top Bottom