How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I thought of that, but you know, iodine (7% from a farm supply) is cheap, and I wouldn't have to set up a camp stove, or have that extra heat to deal with if I decide to do this in the work shed, because I'm not gonna be doing this in the kitchen, probably. Many germs have to be boiled for at least 15 minutes, (or more) also, to kill them off. I'll have to look up how long it takes iodine (and other stuff) to kill germs. I might need to rig up more than one set of tools, to allow ample time for disinfection.

The boyfriend bought a barred rock roo when we picked up our meaties. I am getting mille fleur cochins and silkies, and want to keep a pure breeding group, without having to keep everyone seperate. The silkies, only hens will stay, I don't intend to breed them, but to use them as broodies for duck eggs. Anyways, I plan to capon the barred rock roo, but I'm afraid of killing it. I have another young roo (3-4 weeks old) that I could practice on, since he is only being raised for the table, and his loss (sadly enough) isn't as big of a deal. So, anyways, are the survival rates fairly good? Is it expensive to buy everything you need? I'll probably only be caponing two of them, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks for all this info. I have been wanting to learn how to caponize. I need to ask DH to read this so maybe he can assist me!! I totally agree with giving the roos a longer and more enjoyable life.
wee.gif

I didn't do well finding the testes on the ones I butchered, I don't think I want to try this with live birds. Since my only reason would be to extend the harvest period for tender birds, I think I'll concentrate instead on becoming better organized for butchering as needed, and on getting what we need to build a whiz-bang plucker.

My main hang-up when I need to butcher is the time it takes to pluck. No, I'm not going to skin them instead, I like the skin and don't want to waste it. The one time I did try skinning, it took nearly as long as plucking anyway, because I also love the wings, and I'm not about to cut them off and throw them away.

I still find this an interesting thread.

You can braze a small loop of piano wire to small steel rod, slightly smaller than a pencil. You can use this loop to slide around the testes and slide out. We waited to long to try this (9 weeks). I really think that it should be done around 3 or 4 weeks old. We're going to butcher all but a couple of the GLW roo's and try again at a later date.

Please someone that is successful with this get in touch with me....
First of all I am a nurse. Let me get that on the table so ya'll can understand my mindset.
Now I have wanted to learn how to caponize for about 20+ years, but I never had a teacher and the book doesn't have very good visuals. Plus I figured I could use some of my nursing tools plus some of my husbands basic tools to perform the surgery, but never put a kit together.
So I finally bought myself a caponizing kit a few months ago and put some eggs to incubate. Well, as it turned out, I never caponized them. They are now 3 months old and ready for the frying pan, so I killed one this morning and attempted the surgery.

A few things I learned........
1. Have a strong light that you can aim in the direction you need.

2. I prefer the suggestion on this thread about where to put the incission, rather than the one in the books. I did it by the book first and couldn't find the gland and I foolishly went up before down, in an attempt to look for it.......I mean the animal was dead anyway, so I was determined to learn. (I might note here that I am certain I would have lost the bird if I had attempted it on a live bird.....then again, I would have done it much more gently if it were alive).

3. I would have had to move things around a bit to locate the gland. So I am thinking I didn't starve the bird long enough or that (and this part I am guilty) I should have taken the water away last night.

As things stand now, I don't feel I am ready to preform the surgery on a live bird. I still have 5 young roosters to kill for practice, before I attempt them on 30 or so I have that could truely benefit from the procedure.
I really would have prefered things to go more smoothly. I felt like when I was in school and I would have to preform a catherization or other delicate procedure on a patient.......on the edge. Except, unfortunately, I had no instructor.

I AM FINDING THAT THE WEIGHT IS MUCH MORE PRECISE THAN THE AGE OF THE BIRD. 1 1/2 TO 2 LBS AND THE TESTESE ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO LOCATE JUST IN FRONT OF THE KIDNEYS. THE TOOL I ORDERED WERE A @@@@@ OF @@@@. I THREW THEM AS FAR AS I COULD AND AM ON A SEARCH FOR BETTER TOOLS. THAT IS THE KEY. THE SPREADER IS WHAT IS MOST IMP. AND WHAT IS THE WORST TOOL IN THE KIT. I AM CONCIDERING SENDING MINE BACK TOI STROMBERGS. I THINK WHEN THEY RAN OUT OF THE ORIGINAL COMPONENTS THEY REPLASCED THEM WITH ANY OLD THING NOT EVEN TESTING THEM FIRST, BUT THEY ABSOLUTLY ARE INADAQUIT.
D.gif

Thank you for posting this! It took me a while to find it, instead I have gotten organization and other "vivisection" articles. I found that I dabbed a little orajel (benzocain) on the incision site and the bird took a nap under the lamp when I was done. However, I didn't actually get a testicle out. When I opened him up, I saw what seemed to be striated muscle, so I think I was too far caudal. I thought I was between the last two ribs - did you have trouble locating the rib area to incise? Cuold someone give me a big hint on that?
Just an aside, the membrane is an air sac, not just a membrane, so it will "whistle" because it is a vessicle for air to go into beofre it goes into the lung - I hate to have to cut it but there seems to be no way around it.
I have asked veterinarians to help me with this but they want to anesthesize the bird (don't we all? & $$$$) nor will they help guide me in doing my own. Hmmm, have you ever seen puppy tails docked? I only want to do this because to raise rare breeds I can't have dozens of left over roosters crowing and fighting. It is much "greener" and frankly more humane to caponize and eat, and certainly more humane than some commercial farming outfits.
Can you tell me exactly what I SHOULD see when I open up the bird? I like your modification to the spreader, too, and info on opening and locating, THEN using spreader.
BTW, I let my intstuments sit in alcohol for 15 minutes before using, and put a single stitch in the skin to help the sanitization process - by no means sterile, but better than some of the info out there shows!
Thanks again, your pix are a big help!
Holly, mom of too many chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom