How to catch "wild" roosters

Chelseasducks

Chirping
Jul 24, 2021
We have 3 adult roosters that we took in. They were never handled much by humans and are skittish. We built a coop for them and they will NOT go in. We have tried everything (used treats, food, pool skimmer, made a run outside of the coop to trap them, etc). They run away before we can catch them and are too scared of the food near the coop. We managed to get one rooster in a few nights and he did well but then never came back in. The weather is freezing in Michigan and they perch in our pine trees. Can they freeze to death without shelter? Any other recommendations to get them in? I'm at my wits end.

if they are adults, perhaps they have been out here for all their life as it is unclear how old they are. Maybe they are used to perching on trees and are adapted to the weather. I’m not that sure to be honest

If I were you I would put up some kind of barriers to trap them against. Think temporary fencing or something like that. A pool skimmer is a good idea, but a regular net would be easier since most of the ones I've seen are a lot wider than pool skimmers... Better chance of actually catching one. If you are able to get a couple of other people to heard them into the area where you have the barriers, you can trap them against the wall and net them.
Do you have a run for the coop? Seeing as they're so skittish, I feel a run will be essential otherwise you're going to keep having this problem.
And yes, at the very least, frostbite would be a concern for them being unprotected from the elements.

We have 3 adult roosters that we took in. They were never handled much by humans and are skittish. We built a coop for them and they will NOT go in. We have tried everything (used treats, food, pool skimmer, made a run outside of the coop to trap them, etc). They run away before we can catch them and are too scared of the food near the coop. We managed to get one rooster in a few nights and he did well but then never came back in.

The weather is freezing in Michigan and they perch in our pine trees. Can they freeze to death without shelter?
Several years ago a regular on here told a story about a flock of feral chickens on the Michigan peninsula when he was a kid. They slept in trees, foraged for all their food, and probably go water by eating snow. They were not in peak condition like a well fed flock would have been but they were alive in Spring. He did not know if there were any predator losses or not but the main flock made it OK.

A predator could get them, cold weather could cause serious problems, but it's not guaranteed.

Any other recommendations to get them in?
I don't know how big that run is or whether they would be able to fly over the fence. I'm not sure how useful it really is. Could be great, could be a distraction to you.

They are sleeping in the pine trees. It is unlikely you can get them while they sleep without serious risk of severely injuring yourself. When they are sleeping is a common way to try to get them and it can work, but in this case it does not sound practical.

I'd start by setting food out where they see it and will eat it. Don't try to catch them or scare them, for now just let them get used to eating out of a certain dish.

Construct a trap. It could be that run or maybe you need to build something they can't fly out of. Rig it up so you can remotely close the door. Probably set something up with a long rope that goes to a blind or at least a place a long way away. It could be a door with hinges or a guillotine type door that falls in place when you tug on that rope.

Once they get used to eating out of that bowl, gradually move it toward the trap. You don't need to be around to start with to watch them but let them see you occasionally from a distance without trying to approach them. Once they are eating out of that bowl in the back of the trap and are used to seeing you rope distance away without panicking, spring your trap using slow movements.

Scatter some scratch grains in a trail from where they roost to the inside of the coop. Do not put out too much, but enough for them to follow the eats in the direction. Replace as needed and give them a couple to a few days to get into the coop. What you are looking for is all three roosters to go in at same time allowing you to close coop door trapping them inside. Do not chase them or use the other devices you mentioned in first post. That was counterproductive.

Another option is to strip down to running shoes and shorts using pool or long-handled fish net to run them down. If I can run down multiple game stags during the warmer parts of year, then odds are you can run down your little buddies forced to run through deep snow.

What kind of chickens? Pictures might be informative.

Finally got them all in!!! Thank you all for the suggestions. I got the first two in last week by putting down a trail of food and mealworms in a straight line leading to the run. The last rooster took another week as he was much smarter but with patience and treats, it eventually just clicked. I can finally sleep good tonight.

Finally got them all in!!! Thank you all for the suggestions. I got the first two in last week by putting down a trail of food and mealworms in a straight line leading to the run. The last rooster took another week as he was much smarter but with patience and treats, it eventually just clicked. I can finally sleep good tonight.
Celebrate Here Here GIF by CHANDON CALIFORNIA

Back
Top Bottom