How To Catch Chickens

HarmonyHorsey

Songster
Jul 24, 2023
South Africa
My Coop
My Coop
I find chickens need to be caught sometimes, and I hope this will help you.

1. ROOSTING
Chickens are really easy to catch while perching. Come from behind with a flashlight and gently pick up the chicken, then grasp to your chest.
My usually very skittish Araucana let's me stroke her while she is roosting.

2. SQUATTING
When a hen squats,they are very easy to catch. Come up from behind, reach out your hand, and the hen will squat down on the ground. She will do so because she feels that you are a rooster and her body is submitting to a roo mating her. Of course, only laying hens squat. Some links on squatting:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/11/understanding-chicken-behavior.html
https://www.backyardchickencoops.co...ntre/when-will-my-pullets-lay-their-first-egg

3. EATING AND TREATING
When chickens are eating, you can try to gently pick them up but you need to be behind them and unnoticed. Try to get them when they have other chickens blocking their view on either side.
You can also let them feed from your hand, while someone behind them tries to pick them up. I like giving my chickens barley seeds, meal worms, and pumpkin seeds.

4. BLANKETING
Personally I have never done this, but many other people have tested and proved this method. I think it probably stresses them out quite a bit... To do it, you take a blanket and throw it over the desired chicken. You then gently pick it up.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

1. Chasing
Chasing the chickens is not the way to do things. First of all, it stresses them out soo much! Second of all, chickens do crazy things when chased, ie shoving themselves through fully electrified working fencing. Thirdly, you hardly EVER have success. It's just not worth it.

2. Fishing
Fishing is where you use a fishing net to catch a chicken. I do not fully agree with this method because it puts the chicken under quite a bit of stress.

CONCLUSION:

It's best to keep chicken catching to a minimum. Whichever way you choose, the chicken never wants to be caught. Why would they run away if they wanted to be caught? I only catch my chickens if they are sick or a problem.

Of course, some birds are just tame. Buying chickens as chicks will up your chances of having tame, sweet birds. My one Boschvelder whom we got at 10 weeks old was the sweetest hen in the world! 🥰 She came to me for cuddles but she was one out of 12.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful and enjoyable!

-Harmony

Last edited:
Fishing is where you use a fishing net to catch a chicken. This is a double whammy for me, as you are chasing the chicken around and the cruelly slapping a net over them. It puts the chicken under loads of stress!

Chickens are prey animals. It is hardwired to run. But, some breeds are more docile. A fishing net can work just fine. Moving slowly toward them and get them into an area with only 1-2 ways to move and once they run, just scoop them up, in one motion. The fishing net is not always needed, but can be really useful. There is an added benefit too. They dont like to be netted, of course, bc anything new is scary (even new foods or treats), and so, I have used the net much more often as a motivation for movement than ever catching them. They see it and move as far away as possible from me, and this is sometimes exactly what I need them to do. It is not cruel and does not require slamming anything over their heads.

If a bird is perched high, where you may not want them (tree branch, cross beam in a structure, etc) using a bar of some sort that is horizontal you can bring it up behind them and lift slightly. They will naturally step onto this bar and you can lower it down. I’ve used a handy 2x4 held at an angle to successfully get chickens off a cross bar in a barn using this method. Since chickens need landing space including distance, sometimes you have to help them down from an awkward spot.

Additionally, a bird can be grabbed by the legs -grab both, not just one. This is useful for when the bird is perched, but stands up when approached. Rather than go for the body, a better target can be the legs. This is also helpful when removing them from a cage. They are usually at the back trying to move away. Grab legs, then use hands to maneuver bird. Since you don’t want to injure the wings getting them through a cage door, then hold legs and use other hand to keep wings down, or push to a sitting position , then use both hands to hold body and keep wings down while removing from the cage.

We’ve raised hundreds of birds, across many many breeds. Some are easy to catch others are not. Catching a rooster is generally harder and they are heavier and stronger. All mature birds (M or F) have strong wings. When they flap and hit you in the face, you will gain a new appreciation for their strength. When the persnickety hen or rooster bites you, it hurts. But, with experience catching becomes easier.

Chickens are prey animals. It is hardwired to run. But, some breeds are more docile. A fishing net can work just fine. Moving slowly toward them and get them into an area with only 1-2 ways to move and once they run, just scoop them up, in one motion. The fishing net is not always needed, but can be really useful. There is an added benefit too. They dont like to be netted, of course, bc anything new is scary (even new foods or treats), and so, I have used the net much more often as a motivation for movement than ever catching them. They see it and move as far away as possible from me, and this is sometimes exactly what I need them to do. It is not cruel and does not require slamming anything over their heads.

If a bird is perched high, where you may not want them (tree branch, cross beam in a structure, etc) using a bar of some sort that is horizontal you can bring it up behind them and lift slightly. They will naturally step onto this bar and you can lower it down. I’ve used a handy 2x4 held at an angle to successfully get chickens off a cross bar in a barn using this method. Since chickens need landing space including distance, sometimes you have to help them down from an awkward spot.

Additionally, a bird can be grabbed by the legs -grab both, not just one. This is useful for when the bird is perched, but stands up when approached. Rather than go for the body, a better target can be the legs. This is also helpful when removing them from a cage. They are usually at the back trying to move away. Grab legs, then use hands to maneuver bird. Since you don’t want to injure the wings getting them through a cage door, then hold legs and use other hand to keep wings down, or push to a sitting position , then use both hands to hold body and keep wings down while removing from the cage.

We’ve raised hundreds of birds, across many many breeds. Some are easy to catch others are not. Catching a rooster is generally harder and they are heavier and stronger. All mature birds (M or F) have strong wings. When they flap and hit you in the face, you will gain a new appreciation for their strength. When the persnickety hen or rooster bites you, it hurts. But, with experience catching becomes easier.
Thank you. Good info

I seldom catch my hens. But when I do, I don’t want to be bitten or flogged. I have used the fishnet. Once caught, they stop moving as the net confines them. This can be very good for fighting roosters.

I most often have to move a broody hen, I use a towel. Hold an end in each hand, placing the middle over her head. I use my hands to check for eggs under her wings and carefully lift her out.

Off the roost is the easiest way to catch them.

I have never tried this, but another poster swore by it. Make circle out of a piece of chicken wire. She claimed she could just drop it over the top of them and the would stand there.

An interesting thread.

I seldom catch my hens. But when I do, I don’t want to be bitten or flogged. I have used the fishnet. Once caught, they stop moving as the net confines them. This can be very good for fighting roosters.

I most often have to move a broody hen, I use a towel. Hold an end in each hand, placing the middle over her head. I use my hands to check for eggs under her wings and carefully lift her out.

Off the roost is the easiest way to catch them.

I have never tried this, but another poster swore by it. Make circle out of a piece of chicken wire. She claimed she could just drop it over the top of them and the would stand there.

An interesting thread.
This is all great information! I always love learning more. 😊

I only have 10 hens & I just call mine. I say... chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp & they all come running 😂
Seriously, they really do. 🤷

I find chickens need to be caught sometimes, and I hope this will help you.

1. ROOSTING
Chickens are really easy to catch while perching. Come from behind with a flashlight and gently pick up the chicken, then grasp to your chest.
My usually very skittish Araucana let's me stroke her while she is roosting.

2. SQUATTING
When a hen squats,they are very easy to catch. Come up from behind, reach out your hand, and the hen will squat down on the ground. She will do so because she feels that you are a rooster and her body is submitting to a roo mating her. Of course, only laying hens squat. Some links on squatting:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/11/understanding-chicken-behavior.html
https://www.backyardchickencoops.co...ntre/when-will-my-pullets-lay-their-first-egg

3. EATING AND TREATING
When chickens are eating, you can try to gently pick them up but you need to be behind them and unnoticed. Try to get them when they have other chickens blocking their view on either side.
You can also let them feed from your hand, while someone behind them tries to pick them up. I like giving my chickens barley seeds, meal worms, and pumpkin seeds.

4. BLANKETING
Personally I have never done this, but many other people have tested and proved this method. I think it probably stresses them out quite a bit... To do it, you take a blanket and throw it over the desired chicken. You then gently pick it up.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

1. Chasing
Chasing the chickens is not the way to do things. First of all, it stresses them out soo much! Second of all, chickens do crazy things when chased, ie shoving themselves through fully electrified working fencing. Thirdly, you hardly EVER have success. It's just not worth it.

2. Fishing
Fishing is where you use a fishing net to catch a chicken. I do not fully agree with this method because it puts the chicken under quite a bit of stress.

CONCLUSION:

It's best to keep chicken catching to a minimum. Whichever way you choose, the chicken never wants to be caught. Why would they run away if they wanted to be caught? I only catch my chickens if they are sick or a problem.

Of course, some birds are just tame. Buying chickens as chicks will up your chances of having tame, sweet birds. My one Boschvelder whom we got at 10 weeks old was the sweetest hen in the world! 🥰 She came to me for cuddles but she was one out of 12.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful and enjoyable!

-Harmony
I agree with not chasing them or throwing anything over their heads. It seems cruel to me. I DO have a problem with my big Wyandotte, now that she has been wounded by my neighbor's dog. I must spray her twice or three times a day with Silver Spray and another product for wounds. Most of the wound happens to be under her wing on the left side. I found myself chasing her in the small, confining coop, which is inside the chicken pen. She would run, and I'd just wait 'til she got in the right position, and spray. I had to do this several times to effect the wound area. I couldn't lift her wing because Sugar was uncooperative! I'm hoping that somehow the spray went through to the other part of the wound. This is the third day after she's been wounded, and I'm going to introduced yet a third wound medication. Don't know that this is good or not, but I need to know which product is best for this. Right after she was wounded, I immediately pasted the entire wound with a black salve containing 20% Ichamathol. This product is used on all kinds of animals. I use it on myself, as well. It stings for the first few seconds, then takes away all pain, and allows for the forming of a scab quickly. The second day I started on the chicken wound products.

I only have 10 hens & I just call mine. I say... chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp & they all come running 😂
Seriously, they really do. 🤷
Hey try that with a little plate of cottage cheese. I dare you. They'll run you over like a football team! Here they come!

Attachments

• IMG_5223.JPG
    IMG_5223.JPG
    876.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom