How to check if hen has not been a battery hen?

Battery hens are not allowed in my Europe, so they should be from farm lke in video, ofcourse, probably not so good, but smth like that.

Last edited:
So. There is 11 weeks around while I bought them. And first Swollen faces showed up. Before 2 days on of my hens, I immediately cull her. And today one more, but one of these battery hens.
Im interested could this virus be from battery hens? And viruses come out after 2.5 half months?
My neighbours bought 10, 4 months old dominant hens, which I dont like, those hens had drive around the country and not even from mine, from another in bus.
And I guess those chicks had been fed only with medicated food.
Im looking if she dont have the same symptoms as mines, but the difference is, she feed to her birds a medicated layer, but Im biologic, grain peas, vitamins...

I had my coop on two parts with fence in middle, in corner was these 11 battery hens and 6 my old hens with my 1 old rooster, on other side, with trapdoor to big free range fence
24 laying hens,
11, young birds, 3.5 months old
20, pure breed chicks, 2-2.5 month old.
18, 1.5 month old chicks.

So. There is 11 weeks around while I bought them. And first Swollen faces showed up. Before 2 days on of my hens, I immediately cull her. And today one more, but one of these battery hens.
Im interested could this virus be from battery hens? And viruses come out after 2.5 half months?
My neighbours bought 10, 4 months old dominant hens, which I dont like, those hens had drive around the country and not even from mine, from another in bus.
And I guess those chicks had been fed only with medicated food.
Im looking if she dont have the same symptoms as mines, but the difference is, she feed to her birds a medicated layer, but Im biologic, grain peas, vitamins...

I had my coop on two parts with fence in middle, in corner was these 11 battery hens and 6 my old hens with my 1 old rooster, on other side, with trapdoor to big free range fence
24 laying hens,
11, young birds, 3.5 months old
20, pure breed chicks, 2-2.5 month old.
18, 1.5 month old chicks.

Are any of your other chickens showing symptoms of a swollen face?

Are any of your other chickens showing symptoms of a swollen face?
Yes. Before 2 days saw the first affected, on one of my hens which live in second side of coop, slaughter her immidiately. And today after I slaughter that one battery hen, its seems to my rooster which lived together with battery hens, is closing one of his eyes, probably virus in first level.

I had second coop, where I started to put sick birds before a week, 3 was mines and 2-3 was battery hens, they was coughing and one was sneezing.

But swollen face is first time in my flock, coughing and sneezing is no big deal, I dont like bubbly eyes, had those im last year.
But now im looking to cull everyone who shows syptoms, cause very dearly chicks are growing, and had few very dear birds, with whos I start working with chicks....

Yes. Before 2 days saw the first affected, on one of my hens which live in second side of coop, slaughter her immidiately. And today after I slaughter that one battery hen, its seems to my rooster which lived together with battery hens, is closing one of his eyes, probably virus in first level.

I had second coop, where I started to put sick birds before a week, 3 was mines and 2-3 was battery hens, they was coughing and one was sneezing.

But swollen face is first time in my flock, coughing and sneezing is no big deal, I dont like bubbly eyes, had those im last year.
But now im looking to cull everyone who shows syptoms, cause very dearly chicks are growing, and had few very dear birds, with whos I start working with chicks....

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like a sinus infection, which can be helped with antibiotics, though can be difficult to treat.

I hope none of your other chickens show symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom