How to Deworm Roundworms with Molting Chicken

fatimahb89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
Please help. I have a beautiful opal legbar who has been acting sluggish, not laying, pale comb, etc. 5 days. Today she showed me what is the matter. Please help me treat her and the rest of the flock (4 others). I read that safeguard will deform feathers. What is the proper medication? How much? How often? Egg withdrawal? She is probably not laying due to the molt. However two of the other lay daily. I can buy Valbezen at TC if that is needed. lol, it's a huge bottle! Is Pyrantel Pamoate 50mg/ml an option? Thank you!! My feed store recommended Zyfend. IDK

Opal worms 10 6 23.jpg

Valbazen is a great wormer, if you can get that and you can use it during molt. The Pyrantel Pamoate can be used also, I don't actually know the dosing for that as I've not used it.
Valbazen dose is 0.5 ml orally and repeat dose in 10 days. Shake the bottle well before drawing the dose, it settles out.

I read that it's not just fenfendazole that can cause problems with the feathers; it's all of the benzimidazoles (albendazole, fenbendazole, mebendazole, oxfendazole, etc.). Let me go look for that source.

I've used Valbazen with birds in molt without weird feather regrowth. As a matter of fact, I dosed my birds with Valbazen this morning and half of them are in molt.
Dont buy Zyfend, it doesnt treat worms.

Source:
By Dr. Colin Walker B.Sc. B.V.Sc. M.A.C.V.S (avian health) wrote:
"3/ fenbendazole- a useful drug, has the disadvantage that it and other drugs in the same group cannot be used during moulting otherwise a ‘fret mark’ will form in the feathers that were growing at the time of treatment."

This thread discusses the dosing for the Pyrantel Pamoate:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pyrantel-pamoate-dosing.1418132/

I have used Valbazen during molt, never had an issue and hadn't seen a source that says it causes a problem. Interesting. Not sure if a 'fret mark' is something to worry about?
My understanding is the pyrantel can be a little harder on them? I've never used it, so have no knowledge on that.

This thread discusses the dosing for the Pyrantel Pamoate:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pyrantel-pamoate-dosing.1418132/

I have used Valbazen during molt, never had an issue and hadn't seen a source that says it causes a problem. Interesting. Not sure if a 'fret mark' is something to worry about?
My understanding is the pyrantel can be a little harder on them? I've never used it, so have no knowledge on that.
I've used Safeguard during molt and never had a problem. @KsKingBee and many other peafowl breeders have used it during molt, too.

Pyramtal is super safe, probably the safest. Let me go find that source.

"Prophylactic Deworming
I have been saying this for years (because I have been seeing this for years!) and here it is: Many young and adult birds can be harboring ascarids (especially if they were parent-raised for any length of time) and you can run fecals all day, and guess what? The fecals will almost always be negative. A paper out of the Univ. of Georgia a few years back confirmed this. Many a time I have been a hero when I have dewormed a bird during a second or third opinion, when it passes a pile of ascarids and shocks the owner after being repeatedly told by other vets that "the fecal was negative." Well, deworm it anyway, with something safe. I routinely use pyrantel pamoate, since you can't hurt a bird with it, unless you aspirate it!"
Source:
Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., D.A.B.V.P
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/challenges.html

Source:
By Dr. Colin Walker B.Sc. B.V.Sc. M.A.C.V.S (avian health) wrote:
"3/ fenbendazole- a useful drug, has the disadvantage that it and other drugs in the same group cannot be used during moulting otherwise a ‘fret mark’ will form in the feathers that were growing at the time of treatment."
I've never had an issue using Valbazen in molt with "fret marks" aka stress marks in feathers which is more aligned with poor nutrition during feather regrowth.
However, I've had it happen using Safeguard during molt. I've never used Pyrantel Pamoate with birds in molt.

Valbazen is a great wormer, if you can get that and you can use it during molt. The Pyrantel Pamoate can be used also, I don't actually know the dosing for that as I've not used it.
Valbazen dose is 0.5 ml orally and repeat dose in 10 days. Shake the bottle well before drawing the dose, it settles out.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom