How to disinfect the run

Really think (My 2 sq. yards of opinion) is to disinfect the 'hard' objects inside your run, ladder/ramp, perches, food dishes etc using some of the things prescribed and a paint scrapper just to start. A solid maintenance program which consists of just getting out there weekly if not more and removing debris, feathers, old stuff, and poop. That goes a very long way and it's easy not to mention simple. And hey, disinfect your manure shoes once in a while, easy and simple.

Some great information on here, but really its getting kind of complicated. Chickens can be time-consuming as it is. I would also encourage people to have more than one run if enclosed and set up some kind of pasture rotation plan for their flocks. Can have two separate pens, two separate entrances. Some articles and post on here for that very subject with pros and cons.

A lot of the things we fear the most need your chickens present and pooping with some other conditions such as moisture to grow and be active. Though, we really can't get rid of it all. Several times a year shut one off and open the other and then fully clean out the previous run. Till the soil however you choose to do it to get the layers exposed to the elements reducing the nasties little save places in the dark. Folks, the Sun has been killing things for millions of years...use it! Remove the first few inches from the not used pen and replace with fresh substrate. Its some work but not it's truly not that bad. A lot of this stuff will naturally die off when you start removing these conditions.

Keep in mind there are bad things in our soil, keep in mind there are also good things in the soil that help maintain the balance of the two. Encourage those good things! I feel a lot of people encourage killing everything which can cause an unbalance within this cycle leading to severe blooms of bacteria and viruses without anything keeping it in check as a real possibility. Just takes a little initiative to do some basic 101 research and you can end up having an excellent result that doesn't require an MSDS to be posted on your coop wall or respirators and bio suits.

... I was wondering what is the best way to disinfect the run?...

a bleach/water solution will be effective, but even better, more potent, supersanitizer is bleach/vinegar/water solution...

If you are serious about sanitation and cleanliness, then spade or rototill up the run and add as much slacked lime as is necessary to make the ground white. You can then either water the slacked lie in or wait for a rain. Just give the lime or lie time to work before returning your chickens to their run. You will be greeted by a hissing sound when the slacked lime begins to work along with some smoke.

Slacked lime was once used to speed up decomposition to make it possible for the bodies (make that bones) of people who died overseas to be quickly returned to their homes for final burial.

I have never disinfected a run or a coop. I have raked up soil bedding, and swept out the coop.

Be very careful with chemicals and follow the directions carefully. I do not use any.

Back
Top Bottom