How to feed/water new chicks with adults

NewsmallflockCT

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
I have a broody hen, and I'm getting some day old chicks to see if she will raise them. 🥰 I'm looking for advice on how to feed and water everyone. Currently I have my feeder (grandpa's feeder) and waterer (the metal nipple kind) in the run with nothing in the coop.

I was planning to make a divider with chicken wire in the coop to give the mama and babies their own safe space for a couple days before turning them loose with everyone. Does that sound reasonable?

Obviously I will put a small feeder and waterer in with them in the divided section. Once I remove the divider, will mama show the babies where the water is in the run, or do I need to leave food and water in the coop for a while longer? Will they be ok going up and down the ramp from coop to run when they're a few days old?

I know the chicks won't be heavy enough to open my big feeder in the run for a long time, so I will probably add another feeder in the run until they're bigger. Will mama show them how to use a nipple waterer right away, or do they need a more basic one for a while?

Thanks for any input!

Will they be ok going up and down the ramp from coop to run when they're a few days old?
Not likely. It takes a while for them to be able to navigate ramps.
will mama show the babies where the water is in the run, or do I need to leave food and water in the coop for a while longer?
The hen feeds the chicks when they are first starting out. Make sure the water source is chick safe. If it is elevated, they will not be able to reach it until their wing feathers develop and they can jump/fly up to it. I use a baby bottle for new chicks and the hen brings to back to the bottle for drinks throughout the day.
baby bottle.jpg

I know the chicks won't be heavy enough to open my big feeder in the run
But their mother will be. I would be very nervous of one of the chicks getting stuck in that feeder and possibly injured or killed.

I would put the entire flock on a good quality chick starter now. Put out a container or two of oyster shell on the side for active layers and you can feed this way for the life of every member of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom