Thinking forward to feeder and waterer for flock

Witchychickens

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Central MA
Hi all!

We have 7 chicks that are roughly 3-4 weeks old. We are working on finishing our coop (weather has not played nicely with us) and we should be done when they all hit 6-7 weeks. That will be the 2nd and 3rd week of May.

They are currently using standard watered and feeders for chicks. I’m thinking forward to when they go into the coop. I don’t love the feeder and waterer we have currently and was wondering when I could change them?

I was considering a treadle feeder to ward off possible rats. I know you cannot use them with chicks. I have a silkie, so she’s small. When is it safe and what is the best treadle feeder?

What is your favorite watering system?

I am considering a rain barrel system that feeds into their waterer in the future but am unsure of the best waterer. I’m mostly concerned with the water constantly being full of poop, food, and shavings so maybe a hanging waterer?

I really like rain barrel for water, pics below. I just got the little cups from Amazon and thanks to my climate I dont have to break out a hose until summer. For rat proof feeders, try doing a forum search on rat proof feeders. There are many threads tons of experience and a BYC person who sells one that he developed. No matter what the feeder, I always make sure it will fit into a galvanized trash can and put it up at night. That helps to keep me rat proof. Good Luck!
water.JPG

watercups.JPG

Good that you are considering a treadle feeder but any good treadle feeder is going to be too stiff for a silkie, assuming you want it to be rat proof. Anything light enough for them to operate is going to have a lid that the rats can just push open. Check the negative reviews very closely before spending that kind of money. Any treadle feeder used to defeat rats needs two things; a large difference in reach and weight, between the rats and the hens.

If you had three or four full size (4# or larger) large birds to operate the feeder a single small bird will learn to eat when she can.

Good that you are considering a treadle feeder but any good treadle feeder is going to be too stiff for a silkie, assuming you want it to be rat proof. Anything light enough for them to operate is going to have a lid that the rats can just push open. Check the negative reviews very closely before spending that kind of money. Any treadle feeder used to defeat rats needs two things; a large difference in reach and weight, between the rats and the hens.

If you had three or four full size (4# or larger) large birds to operate the feeder a single small bird will learn to eat when she can.
I was wondering about the silkie’s size and the treadle.

I was planning on putting their food away at night, anyway and storing it completely away from the coop in my enclosed front porch. I have it in a galvanized Behrens trash can.

I will do some research. I have 7 birds. Black copper Marans, EE, Leghorn, Australorp, Olive Egger (cream legbar and Welsummer), and a Lavender Orpington.

The silky would have the reach to use one of the Chinese made treadle feeders like the Grandpa feeder or one of its many clones that are also Chinese made but they are not mice proof much less rat proof. That isn't a problem until you attract the rats then you have a very expensive rodent feeder

Feeding during the day isn't going to stop rats or mice, they will happily eat during daylight hours. Some hens will kill mice, some won't, very few if any will take on a grown rat.

You should have enough larger birds that a single silky will get along with and allow her to eat. I would for sure get a soft close so it has an extra second to get out if the other bird steps off the feeder. Probably will just push her head out of the way. Be sure and use some milk jugs filled with water or dirt to block off side access, make her come in from the front just in case. No moving machine is 100% safe around animals, there is always a small risk for tiny hens around treadle feeders designed to keep rodents out.

Back
Top Bottom