How to fence in areas off-limits to chickens in a way that looks nice?

Those pallet fences are genius!

I just wanted to add that with those heavy chicken breeds you won't need a high fence because they won't be able to get very high.

But also, chickens don't tend to bother medium or large shrubs, especially if they are woody ones. They prefer the shade they provide. Ferns are also unlikely to be tasty chicken treats.
I think using pallets fences and nice looking raised gardens make for a dream like looking garden and chicken coop!

They sure are very decorative!

But FREE makes them super fantastic!
Yup! However their only side affect is that they can rot under moist or humid temps and that makes them (sometimes) unreliable, however using some sealent to protect it from water usually does the trick and painting it also works wonders!

Orbies and Bramas tend to be on the umm full figured side and not ept to flying very high so any pre made fencing will probably work. You can always add floppy fencing if they get the notion to go over.

Attachments

• 16930009561414986919930530866262.jpg
    16930009561414986919930530866262.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
I have a cream legbar! She is one of my worst offenders.
We have two extremely creative and flighty California Whites (which I think are related to legbar). We’ve redone the run (with roofed bird netting) three times this summer and they are still getting out to dig up my bulbs!! 😤 I think the next step is fence the raised beds but I’m hesitant and a roof would be impossible.

Time to trim their wings
If you clip their wings you should only cut the primarys, also I don't tend to trim their feathers as they can have a harder time getting up to the roost bars and nest boxes. I did that to my Livornos and they started a really bad habit of laying eggs on the ground. So bad that they broke their eggs on the hard ground and I'm very glad they stopped after their molt and they also stopped their "I wanna sleep on the roof where an owl could get me!"

Back
Top Bottom