How to Ferment Feed

So it sat for 11 days total? I would toss it out, partially because of possible mold and partially because it's not meant to sit that long. It definitely can get moldy if it simply sits around.

There's a difference between mold and kahm but if you're unsure, better to throw it away or compost it.
I'm making a new batch. I'm going to use the moldy FF in the garden.

I have noticed kahm yeast growth on my birds wet feed after its sat overnight, like @rosemarythyme mentioned. I thought it was mold and kept tossing it until I learned about kahm yeast here on BYC, recently. It's definitely something to look into so nobody wastes as much perfectly good feed as I have 🤦🏻‍♀️

Not that I'm suggesting anything y'all have already discussed. I just wanted to mention it. Thank you for making this thread! Very informative 💜

Offer it as a treat to start. One big spoonful in a dog bowl and see how they react to it. Sprinkle some dry feed on top. It might sit for a few hours but it's fine
Next question , I have 6 very picky chickens. How do I know how much fermented food to give them? Half a cup per chicken? Is that too much? I am a beginner with very spoiled chickens!

Back
Top Bottom