how to fix chick leg

Baali xhah

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 21, 2015
Gujar-Khan,Pakistan

His leg is broken!!!!somebody help me please how to fix it!!

There are diagrams in the links on how to splint. The second one is probably the best at showing splinting of a broken femur. It shows splinting of the leg bent and taped next to the body. I have not splinted a bone before, but others may have. Broken bones are very serious, and most of us do not have the medical training of a vet.

I would separate him, especially if he is with another cockerel or rooster. He also may benefit from sitting in a chicken sling next to food and water (see below.) Here are some good articles about splinting broken bones:
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
http://www.lbah.com/word/avian/fractured-bird-leg/

900x900px-LL-20778a8a_chickensling-500x276.jpeg
7205_bird_chairsling.jpg
I love a good diagram, and these are fantastic!
......except I don't think that the bottom one doesn't match the top one for orientation.
Holes layout should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise?
......and the poop hole should probably be bigger.

I love a good diagram, and these are fantastic!
......except I don't think that the bottom one doesn't match the top one for orientation.
Holes layout should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise?
......and the poop hole should probably be bigger.

You know that is a good point. They are from 2 different pictures I found online. Actually the bottom one would be what I would recommend with the attached areas on the side. The poop hole probably should be larger, and I would think some adjustment would be needed after sitting the chicken in it. I think some of the invention pictures of slings online are pretty original, and made out of things we may have around the house. There is a cute one of a huge rooster in a baby seat. Speckledhen has one of a tank top with a pole through the top, and a rooster hanging through the armhole and neck from the top of a dog fence.

His leg is broken from this joint..and its colour is turning into green
I can't tell the orientation of the birds body from this pic...is that the bare belly near the tail at the bottom of pic?
Might be best to euthanize unless you can take it to a vet.
The green is probably bruising.

Main, mid, first....try using wrist, elbow, hip for description. The hock joint is where our elbow is. This is the most commons dislocation but it's unclear where yours is.

If it is indeed the hock you need a splint. Popsicle sticks work great and gauze or medical tape. Full dislocation will result in a peg leg when healed. I had a big Orpington that got around just fine after he healed up. We set the leg with slight bend, hopping it would be usable but hedging it would be stiff when healed. It was stiff, the slight, natural bend seemed to work best for his getting around after.

A dislocated hip would be tricky but anywhere else along the leg your making splint or if only bruised a wrap. If dislocated you need to pop into place or hold in proper position prior to splint and/or wrap.

Last edited:
Main, mid, first....try using wrist, elbow, hip for description. The hock joint is where our elbow is. This is the most commons dislocation but it's unclear where yours is.

If it is indeed the hock you need a splint. Popsicle sticks work great and gauze or medical tape. Full dislocation will result in a peg leg when healed. I had a big Orpington that got around just fine after he healed up. We set the leg with slight bend, hopping it would be usable but hedging it would be stiff when healed. It was stiff, the slight, natural bend seemed to work best for his getting around after.

A dislocated hip would be tricky but anywhere else along the leg your making splint or if only bruised a wrap. If dislocated you need to pop into place or hold in proper position prior to splint and/or wrap.

It is broken from main joint near his hip.under his wing

Back
Top Bottom