How to free range chickens?

Emmyjim

Chirping
Nov 18, 2021
I want my standard sized chickens (when they are old enough to be put outdoors) have free range of my backyard. My backyard fence is approximately 6 feet tall and my backyard is roughly 25 feet x 25 feet.

1) How likely are my chickens able to jump over my 6 foot fence?

2) Is wing clipping (one or both wings) necessary to keep them from jumping over the 6 foot fence?

3) What is the training process for having chickens return back to their coop? When my chickens are fully feathered and old enough, do I keep them locked up in their coop for a week and after a week, I leave the door open and they will instinctively know to return back inside before sunset? And will they always know to return back to their coop?

4) What happens when it rains? Do I still open the door for my coop in the mornings so they can come out? Or will they know not to come out because its soaking wet?

5) What determines how many chickens I can keep in my coop and backyard? My coop is 6x6x6ft and the backyard is 25 x 25ft.

They shouldn't be able to jump over your fence unless they are desperate. If they do, then clip their wings.

Leave them in the coop for about a week so they learn that is their home and they become familiar with their surroundings. They should return to the coop on their own every night. Just leave the door open during the day and close it at night.

I believe a 6x6 coop can hold 10-15 chickens?

Be aware that free ranging ups the risk of loss do to predators. Good luck!

Last edited:
They shouldn't be able to jump over your fence unless they are desperate. If they do, then clip their wings.

Leave them in the coop for about a week so they learn that is their home and they become familiar with their surroundings. They should return to the coop on their own every night. Just leave the door open during the day and close it at night.

I believe a 6x6 coop can hold 15-20 chickens?

Be aware that free ranging ups the risk of loss do to predators. Good luck!
But do I still open the coop door during rainy days? Are chickens waterproof like ducks?

And if there are certain plants that I do not want the chickens to eat, would a simple mesh cage be sufficient to stop my chickens from eating the plants?

I want my standard sized chickens (when they are old enough to be put outdoors) have free range of my backyard. My backyard fence is approximately 6 feet tall and my backyard is roughly 25 feet x 25 feet.

1) How likely are my chickens able to jump over my 6 foot fence?
I wouldn't say very likely.
2) Is wing clipping (one or both wings) necessary to keep them from jumping over the 6 foot fence?
Unless they start flying over, I like to leave mine with their wings unclipped.
3) What is the training process for having chickens return back to their coop? When my chickens are fully feathered and old enough, do I keep them locked up in their coop for a week and after a week, I leave the door open and they will instinctively know to return back inside before sunset? And will they always know to return back to their coop?
They'll instinctively know to return, as long as they understand the coop is home.
4) What happens when it rains? Do I still open the door for my coop in the mornings so they can come out? Or will they know not to come out because its soaking wet?
They'll decide. Some of my hens have absolutely no care about the rain, while others despise it. I'd leave it open.
5) What determines how many chickens I can keep in my coop and backyard? My coop is 6x6x6ft and the backyard is 25 x 25ft.
I would keep 8-10 chickens in a coop that size. 6 x 6 = 36 sqft. 36/4 = 9. 4 sqft is the normal recommendation, so 9 would be good according to the recommendation. Bigger is better.

The rain won't hurt them.

Does your coop not have a run attached?
My coop is only 6x6x6ft. I did not build a run, because I am planning having them free range my backyard. I live in the suburbs.

Back
Top Bottom