How to get chicken laws changed in Shelby Township, MI

Sandy, it sounds like you and I are very much working on the same thing and from the same perspective. Keep updating here, if you will, so I can see how things go for you!

There is such a battle going on right now with the Shelby Township Board. All up for re-election and doesn't seem like they are up to working together.

Thanks Vikki for all your information. I really don't know where to start. They have a board meeting this week that I may go attend to see how it works.

I'm willing to put in the work just dont know hwo to go about it. Right now I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can about all the laws.

I too live in shelby twp, not saying exactly where, but i have chickens and so did a neighbor down the street, her neighbor called the police and now all her chickens are at the humane society on 22 mile. My chickens are polite clean and don't bother a soul, they aleast give us organic eggs and are no bigger a problem than most of the dogs in the area or the wandering cats that come along.....I would love to see shelby tpw change its laws...would be willing to petition the courts....with many there is more to win than doing it alone...keep me posted would love my girls to be legal....

I too live in shelby twp, not saying exactly where, but i have chickens and so did a neighbor down the street, her neighbor called the police and now all her chickens are at the humane society on 22 mile. My chickens are polite clean and don't bother a soul, they aleast give us organic eggs and are no bigger a problem than most of the dogs in the area or the wandering cats that come along.....I would love to see shelby tpw change its laws...would be willing to petition the courts....with many there is more to win than doing it alone...keep me posted would love my girls to be legal....
I hope Shelby Twp. changes it's laws especially since right next door in Macomb it's fine. Sad for your neighbor.

Hi all.  I'm brand new here, and I am reading as fast and as much as I can.  If there is a sticky or something with step-by-step info on how to get the ordinances changed in an area, could somebody please direct me there?  BTW, I have found other websites sort of outlining a plan of sorts, but thought here would be better.  My Township basically says "no poultry" of any kind.  I want to try to get this changed rather than being an "outlaw", getting chickens anyway, and then being afraid every day of losing my birds.

I'd appreciate any leads!

Thanks,

Sandy
hi

This is so ironic, because one of the most famous Right to Farm cases in Michigan occurred in Shelby Township, and the farmer, Vikki Papesh, won. That was in 2005, and she still has her chickens. She also posted on this thread, on page 2.

The judge in that case said "any township ordinance, including a zoning ordinance, is unenforceable to the extent that it would prohibit conduct protected by the RTFA." Full case is posted here, along with other RTF rulings: http://sustainablefarmpolicy.org/the-courts/

It seems like the court case should have not only established that Vikki Papesh had the right to keep chickens in Shelby Township if she was compliant with RTF criteria, but also that every other citizen of Shelby Township has that same right.

Hi everyone in Shelby two. IM looking to find a place so we all can meet possibly next Thursday . I will post place and time please if you know anyone that would be interested let them know what we are doing.

hi everyone from shelby twp. my name is kathy i am having a meeting at mcdonalds at 23 and vandyke thuesday sept.5 at 7 pm. to go over what we need as a group to change the ordinances on chickens

Back
Top Bottom