How to get established flock to accept newbies.

I have a total of 13 chickens in a 45 Sq foot for the coop. From what I read that should be adequate.

Try this, split the wicked ones up. Generally - there is one really wicked bird, that is just heartless, and the others follow her lead.

When you let the old girls out, leave 1 old girl in with the chicks. Then the chicks will out number her, and she will probably still chase them, but it will be exhausting, and after a bit she will quit. Leave her with them, until it has settled well.

THEN add a second one several days later, see how it goes.

When tight on space, pin-less peepers have been known to work well too. And they may be just what you need to get over this hump - leave them on until the pullets start laying eggs.

Mrs K

https://www.amazon.com/DSSPORT-Pheasant-Blinders-Spectacles-Anti-Pecking/dp/B08DTZBVDX

That may be tight during integration which favors having more space, though once they're integrated in you'll probably be okay.

How large is the run, or do you free range all day?
I let them out in our front yard. However when I let all of them out all 13 it's the same scenerio.

Attachments

• 20230219_104343.jpg
    20230219_104343.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230219_104347.jpg
    20230219_104347.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230219_104624.jpg
    20230219_104624.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I let them out in our front yard. However when I let all of them out all 13 it's the same scenerio.
Is this for the entire day? How large is the area? Details are important when it comes to troubleshooting integration issues.

You could use more clutter to provide hiding spots for the new birds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 The bushes and decorative elements are good, but you could use more junk to break up the space.

Here is the complete size of the yard. We live in an RV park and there are restrictions. They have bushes to hide. I am working on making a separate yard for the chicks. I have to put up an ivy privacy fence so we don't bother neighbors.

Attachments

• Message_1529160028136.jpg
    Message_1529160028136.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 3
I really need an answer to this: Are they all free ranging for the entire day? - if the answer is no, the simple answer is you don't have space for 13 birds, as the coop is not large enough to serve as both coop and run. Even a fully integrated flock will not peacefully exist in that amount of space.

So I run them separately the 3 hens then the 10 chicks. Why I am so insistent on getting them integrated is the chicks are much bigger than I anticipated. They need more room. They will have enough once they all get along. Also I want to be able to leave them for 3 days to get away with our camper. We live in Florida so would love to go to the beach to get away.

So I run them separately the 3 hens then the 10 chicks. Why I am so insistent on getting them integrated is the chicks are much bigger than I anticipated. They need more room. They will have enough once they all get along. Also I want to be able to leave them for 3 days to get away with our camper. We live in Florida so would love to go to the beach to get away.
So the hens have free range half the day and the chicks the rest of the day? I agree they need to get integrated but obviously it doesn't always go smoothly.

When you go on vacation will there be anyone to let the flock out, like a neighbor or friend?

Back
Top Bottom