How to get rid of hawks?

I did battle with a red tail hawk that actually land on a patch of cover and was killing baby birds that should have been safe. They don't always swoop down to kill.

Read my post. I have seen this stuff more than once over many years. You are seeing what you want to see.

No I physically did battle to remove the hawk. It's not a matter of seeing it, I fought with it. I used an umbrella with a pointy end and you know what? That hawk didn't budge. Finally I opened the umbrella and put it over the area. The hawk came back and moved the umbrella. I had to go into a very disgusting water source to get that umbrella and finally got it where it couldn't move it.

It was a very determined hawk. Plenty of other food in the area, it just wanted those birds.

So don't think they won't hop around a covered area to either flush out what they want or hop on top of it through the coverage(especially if it can reach or make it bend with weight)

I have also saw them swoop down on rats, squirrels, my dog and ducks.

No I physically did battle to remove the hawk. It's not a matter of seeing it, I fought with it. I used an umbrella with a pointy end and you know what? That hawk didn't budge. Finally I opened the umbrella and put it over the area. The hawk came back and moved the umbrella. I had to go into a very disgusting water source to get that umbrella and finally got it where it couldn't move it.

It was a very determined hawk. Plenty of other food in the area, it just wanted those birds.

So don't think they won't hop around a covered area to either flush out what they want or hop on top of it through the coverage(especially if it can reach or make it bend with weight)

I have also saw them swoop down on rats, squirrels, my dog and ducks.

Were these wild hatchlings in a nest, rather than chickens in a run?

Red tail hawks were killing my chickens left and right. I started keeping the chickens in their enclosed run and they hated it! Lately I have noticed a whole family of crows moved in and I haven't seen a hawk since. The crows are noisy but the chickens are able to free range again and are very happy! Coincidence or not I'll keep the crows!

I highly suspect that your hawk has discovered an alternate prey species, crows.

Crows hate hawks, especially chicken hawks, because these hawks love the taste of crow meat. If you establish crows in your neighborhood then you just might be attracting hawks as well. The old wives tail about crows running hawks off is just an old wives tail. However if like the homesteaders of the past you live in a cabin or else a tar paper shack where you can readily hear all the sounds of nature, then the quarreling of a murder of crows will soon attract the attention of a very POed shotgun wielding wife or husband and this old timer would quickly settle the hawks' hash for him, thanks to the crows warning that is.

BTW, the old timers tell me that hawk taste just like chicken.

Last edited:
Agreed. A good dog - who watches the sky... will chase and keep hawks away. Plus the constant unexpected movement of a dog keeps them from landing.
Shrubs are great! I have trees all around and brushes. My chickens free range and the hawks here are huge. The chickens hide under bushes and where fine. In all the years we only lost 2 chickens to hawks.
Crows I saw chase a few hawks. I have also witnessed about 10-12 little sparrows all pecking at a hawk while flying.

Hey, it's a bird eat bird world out there.

Here is a good example of the effectiveness a murder of crows has protecting one of their own. What's the chance that crows will save a chicken? However all the racket and hoopla a flock of crows brings to the party may alert your chickens that something is amiss.

Back
Top Bottom