How to Get Urban Chickens in Columbus, Ohio

I dug up my stuff from Messer. You do have to have a vet inspection of the animals upon arrival and yearly afterward. Sorry. I misremembered. I think my neighbor (who is a vet) will look at birds. I'm sure there are others. I would call around. A bird is a bird is a bird.

I just got off the phone with him. Yes a vet check is required. It is a signed paper from a vet that states that my birds are healthy etc. He said a vet could come here and see the birds or all six could go to the vets. I guess it would be very nice if I had a vet that would help out in an inexpensive way by seeing one bird and writing them all as healthy based on the one bird's condition.
I told him that I am brooding my own chickens and they are not coming from another farm, so he stated that I could get it done within three months.
I will need to make some calls and get ideas on this.
The other thing is that I cannot make a run for them, unless it has an impervious floor. This people have done, and put the floor in and the dirt on top. I don't like that idea at all. The chickens are allowed one hour of free roaming in your fenced in yard.
I need to think on this one. I don't want sick chickens as they feel that is the cause of having a run on the dirt etc. BUT, I want my chickens to get outside alot and one hour seems like so little. Maybe building a porch on the coop that has a floor would help. One that is screened in. I understand their concern but then too, I think that the ground can be kept cleaned up enough if the owner is conscientious about doing it. Most people have chicken runs. I guess I need to ask this on another forum for ideas.

the only thing that I know is different in Bexley is that there is a limit on the number of chickens. In Columbus there isn't a number limit but other restrictions are pretty tough.

I know someone looking into chickens in the Columbus area...A vet check is a must? I used to raise parrots, and that is an awfully expensive veterinary appointment. Maybe the names of a few good agri or "willing" vets should be put on a list of some sort (private, not just out in the wilds of the WWW) for those in the area; chicken owners could pay the vet a flat visit & look fee instead of hauling the entire flock to the vet's office.

Hey everyone, It's been a while and after months of nagging Dr. Messer I finally gave up. I got something in the mail last year about having chickens, filled it out nagged for 3 months, never got a response and nothing since. So now I'm thinking of just saying screw it and hiding a few girls in the yard.

One of my original correspondence with him was that there is only one in the department and all the dog fighting and animal neglect trumps my permit.

Kind of grated my cheese.

Hey everyone just keeping the thread alive, just wanted to say I got my flock. Six beautiful and stubborn birds. I put up a tarp so you couldn't see it from the street and called it a day. So far no complaints and no problems (other then mosquitoes).

Bumpity Bump - I live in Orient and have 3 friends in Columbus who want chickens and it sucks to see all of the Bull that they would have to go through...

I have a client who wants to get chickens in either Worthington or Columbus/OTE. Have WO figured out, I believe (coop = 150 ft from nearest structure). Went to Columbus public health's (mobile) website & didn't see anything regarding livestock/chickens. Following this feed has been really helpful, thank you. But I'm curious, has Columbus gotten any more lenient in the past year or so? Any idea of min. lot size...are they still requiring neighbor approval?

I originally signed up for the process of a permit to keep chickens in Columbus Ohio in 2008. I can't help but endorse the idea that this process is full of crap & so is the Dept of Health! I even took my chickens to the vet & had a $300 visit for poop samples... Still no reply from Dr. Messer via email. & yet our chickens produce the best eggs you've ever tasted. I hear that chickens produce for up to 5 yrs... So maybe the Dept of Health will get back to me after they're past tense!?

Back
Top Bottom