How to get your chickens to drink water

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
I have 4 chickens that are 13 weeks. I'm new to raising chickens or being around them. I love them, best thing I've ever done! I do have challenge with a water system. We installed nipples, but they just won't use them, pay attention to them, etc. We removed two of them and added tiny automatic refillable cups (very hard to clean these out, don't come off)- those are fine but get filthy and filled with mosquito eggs because it just sits there too long. As a back up, I have left out their old waterer dome from when they are babies. They use that with no problem. I have to put that on top of a table that they have in their run, so it doesn't get filthy. I'd really prefer for them to use their nipples.....especially for times that we have to leave overnight (doesn't happen much). Any tricks to getting them to use the nipples? Or any other suggestions for a watering system?

Last edited:
I had this exact same situation 2 weeks ago. I am myself a first time chicken owner and my 4 girls are about 10 weeks old. I did a little digging and found lots of people saying that chickens will take the water that is easiest to get, and so if their chick bowl is available, they will choose that over the nipple waterer every time. So one weekend day when I could keep a closer eye on them to make sure they didn’t get dehydrated I took away their bowl waterer, leaving them with only the nipple waterer. Sure enough, within an hour of me taking it away, they had figured out the nipple waterer and were using it regularly. It was a little nerve-wracking taking away a water source, but it worked like a charm. Two weeks later and they are using the nipple waterer like old pros.

1) Take away all other sources/types of water (for safety, do not do this on a hot day when dehydration is a risk).

2) If your chickens will allow you to handle them, pick up a few birds and use their beaks to toggle the nipple. Allow them to drink the droplets that come out. I repeat that a couple of times, then switch to another bird.

Alternatively (esp if your birds can't be handled) you can peck at the nipple with your finger when the birds are watching. Or you can try wedging a few treats like dried mealworms in the nipple to encourage them to peck at it.

Thank you. That's my biggest worry....how in the world will they know water comes out of there.....I have poked at it before, but they don't really pay attention. Putting a worm there is a good idea! I'll try both of your suggestions. It has been so hot this summer that I didn't want to ever remove the water bowl they use, but now it's getting cooler, so I should be able to try this weekend. I'd like to catch them doing it so I know i can feel better that they are indeed drinking....I have no idea how long I may have to sit out there and watch....the LOVE the worms though, so hopefully that will be quick bait

I taught my chickens how to use the nipples just how others mentioned above:
One warmish day after they had finished up sun and dust bathing, and were nice and thirsty, I had the waterer nearby and pushed a nipple to dribble a small puddle on the sidewalk. When a hen came over to investigate the puddle, I pushed the nipple so she would see the water coming out. Some water clung on the nipple, which tempted her to try it out for herself! She taught the rooster, too.
Given that your chickens trust you and aren't afraid of your hand on the waterer, the trick is to give yourself about an hour on a warm day and their thirst should guide the rest!

At this point, the adults teach the chicks to use the nipples once they're strong enough.

But for the first flock I wedged mealworms into the nipples for a week or so (I was training them in hot weather so I was extra cautious), then I started taking the open waterer out at night and not putting it back until mid-morning -- a little later each day.

Once I saw them using the nipples I stored the open waterer until I had chicks again.

At this point, the adults teach the chicks to use the nipples once they're strong enough.

But for the first flock I wedged mealworms into the nipples for a week or so (I was training them in hot weather so I was extra cautious), then I started taking the open waterer out at night and not putting it back until mid-morning -- a little later each day.

Once I saw them using the nipples I stored the open waterer until I had chicks again.
Thank you! I love the mealworm ideas. I am def going to try that! I think I will start that today, actually, but keep the water bowl out and then this weekend when I have time to watch them, remove the water bowl and stand out there and do yard work and watch them.

Thank you! I love the mealworm ideas. I am def going to try that! I think I will start that today, actually, but keep the water bowl out and then this weekend when I have time to watch them, remove the water bowl and stand out there and do yard work and watch them.

My reasoning for taking the open water out at night was that they'd wake up thirsty and be more willing to use the nipples.

It worked!!!! I tried the mealworm idea and I took their water out today and all but 1 of my babies are drinking from the nipples :) I'm sure the other one will be on board soon. Thanks everyone for the mealworm suggestion! It was kind of tough because they were so quick they were getting them from my fingers before I could get them on the nipple! But, I was able to land a few, which was enough

It worked!!!! I tried the mealworm idea and I took their water out today and all but 1 of my babies are drinking from the nipples :) I'm sure the other one will be on board soon. Thanks everyone for the mealworm suggestion! It was kind of tough because they were so quick they were getting them from my fingers before I could get them on the nipple! But, I was able to land a few, which was enough

A favorite treat is a powerful training aid. :D

Back
Top Bottom