How to hatch call ducklings? ***Updated questions!****

They are beyond internal pip they have already pipped the shell externally. Does that change anything or should I intervene or leave alone. Sorry for being so unsure, I just don't want to hurt them. Can I open the incubator and check them individually?
Once they externally pip it can take another 48 hours to fully hatch. Just check about every 6 hours or so & make sure they are making progress on their own. Some will sit there with just the pip & rest for up to 12 hours before doing anything else. This is normal & no cause for panic. They need time to absorb the veins & yolk sack before they finish hatching.

Thank you exactly the advice I needed. Would it hurt if I opened the incubator or should I leave it shut.

Thank you exactly the advice I needed. Would it hurt if I opened the incubator or should I leave it shut.
You should keep it closed as much as possible to keep humidity stable. If you DO have to open it for any reason, us a spray bottle of HOT water to mist the top of the inside of the bator lid (NOT the eggs themselves) lightly before closing to bump humidity back up instantly.

Thanks for the advice, this is the best website for help! I will be getting 3 call/East Indie mixes on Mon. They are already a week old. What great luck, especially for CL! I hope it works!

So I set 11 more call duck eggs in my incubator on Monday, so today will be day three (when I turn the turner on). I'll candle and mark the air cells on the 7th day. The humidity, since I added water, was 41% last night. Is that too high? I was hoping to get it around 35%.
If you are sponging them then no

I haven't been sponging them. Should I? The humidity is there is about 47% and it is VERY humid outside. Could that be affecting it?

I haven't been sponging them. Should I? The humidity is there is about 47% and it is VERY humid outside. Could that be affecting it?
Humidity is definitely affected by ambient humidity. I would remove the water from the bator if you can't get it low enough with it in. I never sponge or mist my waterfowl & they do fine. They do get brief cooling periods daily though because I hand turn. If you are using the turner you may want to mist & cool simply because that is the only time they will get the lower humidity & cooling period.

So should I take all of the eggs out of the incubator with the turner and then remove the water from the water trays underneath? I have to remove the eggs out of the incubator to remove the water. It will take about 2-5 minutes. Is that okay?

ETA: the humidity outside is about 60%

Last edited:
So should I take all of the eggs out of the incubator with the turner and then remove the water from the water trays underneath? I have to remove the eggs out of the incubator to remove the water. It will take about 2-5 minutes. Is that okay?

ETA: the humidity outside is about 60%
That would be fine. I never put water in those trays for exactly that reason. Once it's in you have to tear everything apart to get it back out. Try using a small bowl or shallow lid (peanut butter lid may fit under the turner) & sitting it right on the wire where you can get to it without completely tearing everything apart. Since you are using a turner, try to make it so you can get to it by lifting out 1 egg to fill & so you don't have to do more than lift a rail out to reach the bowl to remove it to empty excess water out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom