How to hatch call ducklings? ***Updated questions!****

I know I'm late to the party, but a couple of pages back there was quite a brou-ha-ha about using bleach. Bleach will evaporate into chlorine gas which dissipates into the air, but it takes a couple of days to do so. If you'd just left it alone in the sun it would have been fine, but since you plugged it in I'd just make sure it's aired out and don't put any eggs in it until 48 hours have passed.

Thank you. I just emptied out the water about half an hour ago. And actually, there wasn't very much water in the tray at all!

Thank you for the great advice everyone. I have 6 small call ducklings. It looks like I have 2 whites, 3 grays, and a butterscotch. I did loose one who didn't make it out. I have 4 more with external pips but not much movement. Should I help or leave them alone. It's the 29th day.

I know I'm late to the party, but a couple of pages back there was quite a brou-ha-ha about using bleach. Bleach will evaporate into chlorine gas which dissipates into the air, but it takes a couple of days to do so. If you'd just left it alone in the sun it would have been fine, but since you plugged it in I'd just make sure it's aired out and don't put any eggs in it until 48 hours have passed. 

Actually, I did have my incubator in the sun for hours before I plugged it in. After I plugged it in I waited a day or so to put the eggs in.

Quote: They will be fine. I just had an egg explode in mine a couple days ago. I had to triple stack a bator while I cleaned it out so couldn't even let it dry completely before returning eggs to it. I just opened the lid several times for the rest of the evening to let extra humidity & bleach smell out. Ya do what ya gotta do is all I can say.

Humidity is definitely affected by ambient humidity. I would remove the water from the bator if you can't get it low enough with it in. I never sponge or mist my waterfowl & they do fine. They do get brief cooling periods daily though because I hand turn. If you are using the turner you may want to mist & cool simply because that is the only time they will get the lower humidity & cooling period.
I have sponged mine and successfully hatched out 33 call ducks this year.

Thank you for the great advice everyone. I have 6 small call ducklings. It looks like I have 2 whites, 3 grays, and a butterscotch. I did loose one who didn't make it out. I have 4 more with external pips but not much movement. Should I help or leave them alone. It's the 29th day.
How long has it been?

I don't know for these particular eggs. After having 6 hatch and loosing one I just worry about the remaining 4.

I was stupid and added more water to my incubator's water tray after I emptied it :/ The humidity is around 41%, but I guess that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom