How to hatch call ducklings? ***Updated questions!****

So I candled my eggs one more time and all of them have detached air cells, but only 2 are seriously bad. The other 11 eggs' air cells, when the egg is moved, the air cell just circles around the top and doesn't move farther, so I hope that's a good sign.

So I candled my eggs one more time and all of them have detached air cells, but only 2 are seriously bad. The other 11 eggs' air cells, when the egg is moved, the air cell just circles around the top and doesn't move farther, so I hope that's a good sign.
Best thing to do at this point is let them settle 24 hours & then set in a carton in the bator without turning for another 3 days. Check air cells again on day 3 to see if they are more stable. If not, leave in cartons & just tip the carton. If they look like they have reattached they can be laid down & turned by hand or in the turner.

I have had my call duck eggs with a mother and she hatched them in 28 days last year. This year i had a mother start them and then she left them, i put them in the incubator and saved a few of them, they took about 34 days to finally come out but they are healthy.
with temperature i had them at about 97-99 degrees F. and the humidity around 80%

I have had my call duck eggs with a mother and she hatched them in 28 days last year. This year i had a mother start them and then she left them, i put them in the incubator and saved a few of them, they took about 34 days to finally come out but they are healthy.
with temperature i had them at about 97-99 degrees F. and the humidity around 80%
The reason they took so long is because your temps are WAAAAYYYYYY low. Probably why you also only hatched a few. Temps should be 99.5 for a bator with a fan & 100.5 for still air. Even temps to 101 are ok. Below 99 will delay hatch by a good bit. You probably also drowned several with humidity so high. 40-50% for incubation in still air, 50-60% for lockdown. Add 10-15% for forced air to each of those humidities.

The mother threw them out at day 29 and they were all cold except those two by the time i got to them
Not sure where you are located but could be that ambient temps were low while the hen was sitting on them which would also delay hatch. If the eggs got too cold for too long it would kill them. Low temps once they warmed back up would also delay hatch & humidity too high can also kill anything not yet hatched because they won't lose enough weight to be able to turn to pip.

My call duck eggs only have 10 days left! I had to remove a blood ring about a week or so ago, but the remaining 16 eggs all show movement!

YAY!!! I have 1 call going into lockdown tomorrow & then more on the 4th. There are other chicks & ducks hatching in between.

:) So when they say that call ducks are hard to hatch, do they mean the incubation process of the growing embryo or the ducklings actually hatching out of their shell or both?

Back
Top Bottom