How to help my stubborn drake heal

Pics
I drove home in a snowstorm in a 2 wheel drive, no snow tire vehicle. That was fun. Opie has about as much traction in the snow as I did, which is to say.. he can't walk in the snow. His poor little bow-legged legs simply slip out to both sides and there he sits. He's staying in the coop until there's some more melting so he can walk.

His legs look the same as when I left. No sign of a prolapse.

Oh boy it's been a long couple months.

Good news: Opie is walking around and enjoying spring. He's even mated a few times (in the pool). He has NOT gotten worse.

His legs haven't 'really' gotten better, either. They are misshapen and he doesn't get around as easily as he used to. Big knees. Weird looking legs. But he's staggering around just as fast as the girls and has learned to cope with stairs, ramps, and roots.

He had 'one' prolapse at the end of March which I popped back in. It hasn't come back since.

Today was a bit stressful. A fox came by, attacked Miss Sassy (here's her picture.. miss evil eye here)
20180809_173720.jpg

She's okay. I saw it trying to carry her off in the woods, but she's big, fat and heavy and it couldn't get a decent grip. I scared it off with some really weird sounding fake 'barks' while screaming at it and she fled in my direction and hid under me while I made sure the fox took off. She's got some punctures under her wings and torn skin but nothing is deep. I couldn't see any other wounds on her and she was walking and flapping her wings so I don't think anything is broken!

Poor girl. I guess if any of them had to get attacked the best choice would be her. She's tough and strong and has a great sassy personality. I just checked on her and she was already harassing Opie trying to invite him to mate with her in the coop.

What a day to come home.. Happy Easter!

Oh yeah he's going strong. Sassy is his favorite girl. He was so upset (which is why I was aware something was wrong). Should've seen his face when he saw me carrying her back.

7 Roosters and the fox goes for one of the 5 ducks.. sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom